Menu
Please be careful with "friendly people"
Jan 1, 2008 16:21
  • JCNILE123
I learned that many (NOT ALL) non-USA mainly white people are VERY sensitive; if they, by any means are confused with USA citizens, I know we do not have such a decree of paranoia? Home in the USA.
However, is good to know, how others think and be kind and sensitive to them, so we can take advantage of the demands of a so call harmonious politically correct society.

We share our experiences and learn as we see how others think and act.
Jan 1, 2008 21:41
  • MTHOPESCH
It's hard for me to believe that people really fall into this trap. Jhammer makes the point: don't go with a stranger anywhere in the world (okay maybe except for policemen (but could be fake, too) and similar). Why sould these students do anything for free? Patricia, you shouldn't have paid the bill, nobody would have harmed you even the street was dark.

It is also hard for me do understand that there is still such a limit knowledge about China. They are not all nice. A lot of Chinese are lacking moral standards (have been living here for 8 years, so you can believe me) after the "fall" of communism (I am not saying communism is good!) and the rise of the limitless Chinese capitalism. For many people here it's all about moneymoneymoney.

Have good Chinese friends so don't blame me for telling the truth,

Markus
Jan 2, 2008 10:29
  • APAULT
That man Dubba has a lot to do with it JC.
Jan 4, 2008 07:44
  • NICHOLAS
Please don't misunderstand my post. I was only trying to point out that by saying 'The American" makes it a racial thing. The end of the day if you have money, or appear that you do, as a tourist often would, then od course you are a target. I just didn't want people to presume it is because the are American (or from anywhere for that matter), it is just because you are in the position to lose it.

Please, Please don't think it was a racial, political or prejudice comment. On the contrary, I was only trying to point out that the initial comment was a little unfair. I wasn't even trying to politically correct, just my honest view.
Jan 4, 2008 09:50
  • JCNILE123
He, he,
(That man Dubba has a lot to do with it JC.)

Dubba is on his way out Paul, just a little longer!
Jan 4, 2008 09:57
  • JCNILE123
Nicholas, as you can see, this is a friendly place,
We enjoy your opinions.
I agree with you, it was not very well stated.

The good thing is that we all are concern about the well-being and security of the others.
Jan 4, 2008 10:52
GUEST24649 sounds like ChrisGaw is not speaking for the rest of the planet but it does sound as if he may be speaking from his personal experience. if you read his comment:nice' people taking advantage of the American; he's the American (singular) and was speaking strictly as a primary source. as another American in this mix i have idea where the racial slur is. i have gotten "hustled" in countries when I was younger. hell, i got hustled in my hometown down the street from where i lived in raliegh, nc. now when I travel I know better. btw, china is one of the safest places i've been
Jan 6, 2008 00:20
  • APAULT
Hey JC...that's twice we have agreed now. We must be careful or people will start talking!

Yes China is safe, in the sense of safe from personal attack and the amount of hustling that you might experience. There is no way I would have paid up such a sum for a fake tea ceremony. I just laugh at them when anything like this happens - they get the message!

As I have said elsewhere, the danger is in Green Men at traffic lights which have NO meaning whatsoever, from poor electrical standards, and other poor safetly standards such as to do with fire safetly. This is still a poor country and these sort of improvements do not come about in a flash.
Jan 6, 2008 23:44
  • JCNILE123
He, he,
Yeah Paul, stay away from me.
Jan 7, 2008 03:47
  • ARLENA
Hi , Unfortunately your story is becoming more and more common in China .
In Shanghai a few weeks ago a young guy who was staying at my hotel- alone - waiting for a tour group.-and never having travelled out of Australia before, accepted an 'invitation" from a nicely dressed polite young 'student' ion the Bund , who then suggested they go for a coffee. Yeah well - next thing another 2 girls arrive at the small dark - down the lane - coffee house and the bill for one coffee for him and cakes ( he never ordered ) and fruit etc - came to 350 yuan. Plus one of the girls kept grabbing him. When he refused and said 'hey no way' - 2 big guys arrived to stare at him until he paid.
So yes ...the bad side of China -
My advice is - just say - "no problems - lets first get the police Ok? and then we'll talk about it." Then take out a phone if you have one or just stare back
and repeat it.
My friend in shanghai wouldnt leave the hotel for 2 days..
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Please be careful with "friendly people"
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code