Menu
Please be careful with "friendly people"
Jul 31, 2010 07:39
I'm new to this forum, but this looks so familiar, I ran into these kind of posts so many times before...
I think this happens in every country in the world.
Mostly, I must agree, Americans tend to be the selected victims, but that has nothing to do with the nationality but the financial predisposition... (Mass-media does it's thing...)
I traveled a lot, mostly trough Europe, and lived in a couple of different countries, and I've seen these kind of things happen every day. People getting ripped off are usually first time travelers, or they are traveling alone for the first time.
It happens to everyone so there is no shame in that, but I guess there are a lot of good tips to pick up on forums nowadays. (Like this one here, thanks for that, really :)
Some 10 years ago, forums like this didn't exist, so a lot of information was unavailable or selective.
But still, even with the best advice and best informational basis that one can have - there is always a certain risk...
Stop and think, and than re-think some more - is the best advice, I guess ;)
Aug 9, 2010 07:54
  • ROMIO
Hi

I am from Maldives and I had had a visit to Guangzhou & Shenzhen lately.. My whole trip was amazingly exciting as i met a long time msn friend and he treated me as better than an own brother,.. took me over to the shopping malls and restaurants and even introduced me many friends who seems very rich :) Its like every1 is a business owner or some kinda expert engineer. No-one allowed me to spend a penny throughout in restaurants, in metros etc,.. i can truly say china is one of the best place i ve ever visited. So nice people & i guess i am fallen over china now :D

I read the above posts and just interested to share something against # 06 "as you most probably must rely on taxi drivers", yes of-course, but its essential to keep heads up to assure its a taxi or a pvt cab your going in,, cz i ve noticed many privet car drivers come walking after wanting to drop me at a cheaper price,.. I never respond to such things in general cz its out of my business.. my advice, do not take other than a taxi..

& the samething as "even then got ripped off by one cabby" happened to me "out of many".. but its ok for me cz its normal in many countries i visited, it was heavily raining and no taxi around except only 1 who stopped on my waving hand.. i was not going so far, according to my calculation he took just 20 yuan more without the meter on.. no worries for me,,..

In general, I felt China is safer than my own country, and i do intend to visit again and again :) maybe soon this month end again :D
Last edited by ROMIO: Aug 9, 2010 07:57
Aug 16, 2010 02:30
  • HERBEAT
Hm... strange... Everytime I see someone standing on the corn of a street, looking confused, I'd go and ask them whether there's anything I could help. But it's just from the nature that we help people. And I never asked for the tip or money... It seems I shouldn't have done that and should do that in the future... In case people take me as someone who wants to rip them off...

Next time when you happen to be in a situation like that, I guess you could say you enjoy the diplomatic immunity, to scare them... lol...
Aug 20, 2010 12:27
  • WAILAOSHI
It is always good practice to approach people with a skeptical eye, especially when you are in a foreign country. People are always trying to get something from you, and occasionally it may just be a simple conversation, but oftentimes they are looking for money.
Oct 19, 2010 02:28
  • BIRDROCKSTER
Always be open when meeting friendly people in China. There are many genuinely friendly people who just want to experience talking to a foreigner. If they ask you to go somewhere with them or to buy something, you can always refuse and continue on.
Nov 8, 2010 20:01
  • ELAIN
There are different kinds of people in this world .I do believe that there are more good people in this world ,that's why the world is in a peace ,that's why we are alive ,that's why we learn and help from each other . The experience of being cheated is really disappointed , but think about the bright side -you are not going to be cheated again, you learn from the experience ,no matter good or bad. Some people live their whole life with cheating things .They feel good about cheating . But we feel aweful about that thing , as a human being , I feel ashamed and sorry for those people who live their life with cheating . God bless
Nov 9, 2010 03:32
  • TIVON
very angry to hear this,you do not pay it ,just keep cool and call 110,they must run away,and the ploice will take drive you back to the hotel.

Dont forget china have 13 millions people,also have some RUBBISH.
Page 4 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Please be careful with "friendly people"
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code