Menu
Foreigners sing classic revolutionary songs in nude, it can be regarded as affronting or not
Dec 13, 2007 01:05
  • FRANKENSTEIN
In recent days, an American netizen upload some videos at several Chinese websites. The videos are about his singing Chinese classic revolutionary songs in nude. In the videos, the man was topless. Many Chinese netizens thought that the foreigner was affronting China through singing Chinese classic revolutionary songs in nude. The foreigner defended that he didn’t have the intention to insult China. This is a really controversial issue. Does it have some cultural misunderstanding in this case? As far as I know, foreigners usually do not take such issues seriously. For instance, foreigners sometimes played with their national flags or used the signs of national flags to decorate their clothes. Sometimes, some foreigners sing their national anthems with chewing gums. In Chinese cultural atmosphere, these behaviors are unacceptable. What do you think of this question? Foreigners sing classic revolutionary songs in nude, it can be regarded as affronting or not?
Dec 13, 2007 17:17
  • JCNILE123
I say, that is an issue that most be analyzed on a one to one basis, and so, you can know the truth purpose of say behavior.
There are behavioral norms applicable to national acts and or the use of national matters as this you question.
Most of the times, a not so normal behavior is a sign of a personal agenda.
Dec 15, 2007 23:36
  • GRIZ326
JCNILE123 is probably correct that the person has a personal or political agenda.
Dec 18, 2007 00:32
  • LEOPOLD219
My friend who studied in America said that he ever saw a man wearing underpants with the pattern of its country's national flag. In China, it is absolutely impossible. US highlights too much personal freedom.
Jan 3, 2008 00:01
  • MOONDOLLARS
The point is, why did he have to sing those songs in the nude? He could have easily sung them wearing clothes. It's easy for other people to wonder what his intention was because of this reason. Besides, he's touching on sensitive topic - Chinese revolutionary songs! Jeez. Talk about bad taste or he was really trying to send some kind of a message. Most people would not put a video of themselves naked anyway and furthermore to sing a Chinese revolutionary song....Being naked implies disrespect. You wouldn't have some naked person out in the streets singing "Oh say can you see...."

- moondollars
Jan 3, 2008 13:11
  • CARLOS
"Being naked implies disrespect."

Moondollars, I totally agree.
I haven´t seen the video, but I think that any that kind of act pointed to any national connection would be done without respect and only to insult.

Carlos

Jan 10, 2008 20:59
  • SUNNYDREAM
Very possibly, he is a jerk.
Jan 16, 2008 11:47
  • APAULT
I think we have a language problem and a cultural difference here, but not in the way discussed. To a westerner, a man topless is not nude.

The cultural issue is that being topless is not insulting, nor indeed is a woman topless insulting even though it may be inappropriate in many instances, but not normally an insult.

Therefore, we should ask why did he upload the songs. Maybe he was genuinely showing an interest in Chinese culture (and accidentally committed a social no-no)..

Maybe I am wrongon this last suggestion, but it is a valid alternative interpretation.
Jan 21, 2008 19:52
  • ICEBLUE
Agree with Apault. In western culture, being topless is not insulting. We should ask why he sings the Chinese revolutionary songs topless? Does he intentionally do it that way? Or he is unaware that the songs are relutionary songs that are highly respected by Chinese nationals? Maybe he was interested in Chinese songs and mistake the songs as pop songs.
Oct 17, 2012 22:04
GUESTJALLGREEF Hi!
Please send us an email if you own shares in some companies. forexspot.biz|shareholders
We have an offer for you.
Post a Reply to: Foreigners sing classic revolutionary songs in nude, it can be regarded as affronting or not
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code