Menu
Why do Chinese prefer celebrating western festivals?
Dec 19, 2007 02:21
  • ICEBLUE
Christmas is coming. Merry Christmas, everyone!

In China, many people are preparing for the Christmas day. In Christmas Eve, countless Chinese ( especially urban residents) rushed out of their houses and gathered in the downtown area. Strangely, during the traditional Chinese festivals, even the most significant moment Spring Festival, Chinese people become "quite calm". There is a lack of festive atmosphere. I am confused about this phenomenon. I am eager to know how western festivals have won over Chinese people' heart.
Dec 19, 2007 11:39
  • APAULT
Freedom of expression?

And for young people, they are opportunities to celebrate that are theirs, and where they don't have to spend their limited free time with the rellies, however much they love them.
Dec 19, 2007 19:37
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I cannot answer why but it is great if done to some extent. Just as some countries celebrate Chinese festivals, the Chinese celebrate western festivals. Coming together is a great thing. ^_^
Dec 20, 2007 03:20
  • JABAROOTOO
Christmas in China is a strange phenomenon and has taken on some uniquely Chinese 'characteristics' in the cities that it is wildly celebrated.

I agree with Paul that it offers a great opportunity for youngsters to ‘let their hair down’ and party without ‘the family’. However from the viewpoint of a foreigner in the country I have to say that Christmas Eve festivities here look more like New Years Eve in the west.

Christmas in western countries is traditionally a much quieter, family and friends affair and any large gatherings are for the very public, young family oriented ‘Carols by Candlelight’. And lets not forget Santa. These events are held in large parks, churches and halls.

Since the meaning of Christmas - the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ more than 2000 years ago - has been watered down in our collective western countries, it is not surprising then that the meaning and significance of the celebration is not so obvious to the casual observer. The fact that is followed closely by New Year Celebrations of grand proportions would also add to any confusion or lack of understanding.

Different counties also have some very unique ways to celebrate Christmas. In Australia it is school summer holidays and there is not a flake of real snow in the whole country. Many families take long holidays at the beach and we have some of our own unique Carols that reflect the weather that most of us experience at Christmas, sometimes over 40 C

To be honest I understand little about the Chinese New Year Celebrations, just that they cover several weeks, are family oriented and many special things are observed during that time. Oh and many people make jiaozi at home together which is a lot of fun and a good time to chat and catch up on each others news.

Merry Christmas to you all and I wish you all the very best for the coming New Year
Dec 23, 2007 20:52
  • ICEBLUE
I found out that business are hawking Christmas gifts. Perhaps, business plays a very crucial in popularizing western festivals in China.
Dec 24, 2007 09:18
  • JCNILE123
Because some think it is cool, of course it is western.

Others with legitimacy believe on the birth of Jesus.
Dec 25, 2007 21:50
GUEST21169 ever since 1850 qing lost the war to eight countries, elit begins change the old thinking- old ( chinese ) is bad, new ( western ) is good. chinese admire anything western " chung2 yang2", holidays include.
Jan 1, 2008 20:42
  • SUKKI
This is the phenomenon of the world cultural globalization I think... Chinese people do take Christmas as one of their festivals to celebrate, but compared with the traditional and most important Spring Festival, tha latter one is a festival of family reunion, so all the family members get together and have the family banquet. Contrarily, Christmas is more popular among the youngsters. They take it as a chance to entertain and relax themselves. That's why you can see countless chinese rush out of their houses and gather in the downtown area. It seems like Christmas is of more festive atmosphere. It's just a superficies ^_^
Jan 1, 2008 21:12
  • LEONARDO
SUKKI touched the right points. Spring Festival is more of a occassion of family reunion; whereas, Christmas is a occasion of hanging out with friends and buddies.
Post a Reply to: Why do Chinese prefer celebrating western festivals?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code