Menu
Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, and ?? 2/1-2/16 (or so)
Dec 21, 2007 17:56
guest81402 I will be in Beijing for work through 1/31, and would like to see some of China when that's done. 2/1 will be my first available day, 2/16 the latest day on which I can return (from Beijing).

I know I'd like to see Xian and Shanghai; I think I want to see Hangzhou and Suzhou; I can be convinced to see other places as well.

I'm looking for advice and travel partners; let me know if this sounds appealing to you.

I look forward to hearing from you!
-- Shawn
Dec 21, 2007 19:10
  • HEIDI
The Chinese Spring Festival, the most grand one in China will be held on Feb,7. when you are here. So, you can feel the festival atmosphere in every city.

Enjoy your trip in China!
Dec 22, 2007 07:12
  • LENNON0117
well, since you are the first time to visit Beijing, i would like to remind you sth for your reference as follows,

first, as you know, Beijing is a big city, most attractions here are also very big, so we will walk a long way everyday during you stay in Beijing, you'd better wear comfortable shoes to visit. moreover, because it is not allowed to park by the attractions,normally, we need to walk a short distance for our coach after visiting. sometimes we need to cross a street, because the traffic regulations here in beijing is different from your country, so you'd better look around first and cross the street slowly and carefuly, of course,stick me is a good way! by the way, as beijing is such a big city with huge population, usually there are lots of vendors along the street by the scenic spots, they try to sell sth to you, i strongly suggest you do not buy anything from them. although their stuff are very cheap, but most of them are fake or bad quality.further more, if you buy sth from them with a big face valued money, they sometimes give you back with some fake money as changes.

secondly, please don't drink tap water directly, it's not potable. be sure to boil it before you drink it.bottle water is a good choice for you!

thirdly, when we arrive at the hotel, usually, the bellboy will help you take the luggage, acordding to the common practice and custom,we need to pay them some tips to show our thankfulness. so,if your luggages are not too many,you'd better take them by yourself. if you need their help, you need to pay.

fourthly,as you know, in the hotel, there is a mini bar with various drinks and wine, if you like, you can use what you want, but you'd better pay attention to the attached price list first, because most of them are much more expensive than supermarket.some other necessities are provided in the room, be sure to identify if they are free or not in advance!

fifthly, if you have something valuables, you'd better save them in the safe to avoid loss.
Dec 23, 2007 00:08
GUEST81402 Thank you both very much!

I have found a guide service that will help me see the area, and I have a question about the Chinese Spring Festival. Should I plan to return to Beijing to see the festival there? My current plan has me in Suzhou on the night of the 7th, but I don't know what is happening, what time the celebrations are or whether it makes a difference which city I'm in on the night of the 7th. My tour is flexible, so I can adjust it if it makes sense.

Thank you again!
Dec 23, 2007 00:26
  • ELLEN77
Hi as the night you'd better not miss the Spring Festival Eve in China, that is the 6th. All cities have distinctive celebrations.
Jan 2, 2008 10:59
  • ADRIAN78
Hi GUEST81402,
i ll be in china on the same period, i ll arrive in Shanghai on the 6th and then going to xian and then last stop beijing.
let me know
Jan 12, 2008 07:33
GUEST94148 Another must-see destination if you have 2 days is Guilin and nearby Yangshou. Don't miss the Li River cruise from Guilin to Yangshou. Also there are beautiful caves in Yangshou.

Now, Guilin is supposed to be the most beautiful place in China, however, i found Yangshou to be even more beautiful.

enjoy!
Jan 12, 2008 21:40
  • APAULT
Yangshuo WAS nice before it was spoilt by tourism. It is full of noisy nightclub bars and fake tourist souveniers. Overall it has become fake. For Europeans it is a small version of teh Spannish holiday resorts. Personally, I consider it a place to visit and see the few attractions and get out of as quickly as possible.
Post a Reply to: Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, and ?? 2/1-2/16 (or so)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code