Menu
Gifts to bring
Dec 23, 2007 00:06
  • NICHOLAS
你们好

Soon I will be visiting China and meeting the family of my girlfriend. I understand that in more traditional Chinese culture when a boyfriend is invited into the home it usually is because the couple have plans to marry. This is not the case for us, I will just be a guest.

I have asked my girlfriend what to bring but she is reluctant for me to bring too much in the way of gifts. I have met her Mother already when she travelled to Australia earlier this year but would just like to ask what are some suitable gifts for:

Grandmother/Grandfather
Aunty/Uncle
Cousin
Father
Friends

Thanking you in advance for sharing your thoughts with me,

Nick (小兵)

Dec 23, 2007 00:19
  • ELLEN77
For the senior, some health care subjects, clothes, shoes, or something necessary to their life are good.
For friends, some local souvenirs from your country are better.
For children, you can try these: toys, cartoon books, food items...
Dec 23, 2007 03:56
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hey whats up,

If you want some details on the "health care subjects", refer to this thread that was posted not too long ago:http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=40062

Danny
Dec 23, 2007 06:04
  • NICHOLAS
Danny,

Thanks for your input, I read through that thread and it seems very useful. I can certainly get abalone here though not sure if customs would allow it to be transported??

I will look into those other things also.

I enjoy cooking so might try to 'borrow' their kitchen and cook them a banquet one night. That would be a very challenging way to make a trip to the local market more interesting.

Please if anybody else has suggestions I would still love to hear more ideas. I can think for myself and usually pride myself on being able to choose the right gift but this time is a little more difficult for me.

Regards,

Nick
Post a Reply to: Gifts to bring
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code