Menu
why tibet?!
Jan 8, 2005 14:06
  • MERMAID
why everybody seems crazy about tibet?
why? i just cannot understand. anyone give me a reason? because it is there?!
Jan 10, 2005 11:24
  • DEE0228
I concluded some reasons :
1. It is the city on the roof of the world
2. It is the holy place that every pilgrim yearning for
3. Its breathtaking natural scenery and magnificent Buddhist architecture can not be seen in any other places
4. It has been a mystery for every person who hasn't gone there and people just want to unlock the mystery by themselves.
Jan 11, 2005 08:47
maybe u r right but it is kind of strange. Chinese culture is already difficult to foreigners. How can tourists really understand the Tibetan culture?
Feb 5, 2005 11:33
  • DORREEN
A fascination as to what it was actually like led us to visit last April for 3 days (which became 5 as planes could not land from Chengdu) as part of three weeks in China.
I am interested to see how are other cultures operate within their value systems.
I loved it as it was so different (my partner was not so keen), Experiences we will probably not have again
He won't travel to Mongolia with me!!!
Feb 9, 2005 06:25
  • ELCABRON
Ni hao, mermaid!

For a typical lowai like me Tibet is just pure.
The countryside is amazing, Tibetian culture is so myterious and people are so strong in their believe. It is like back to the roots, when I saw those people beeing so happy with their simple life, I thought that there are so many things back home I don? really need.
Of course you also see monks with mobile phones and of course I got already used to modern life again:-)
But it was a great experience to me.

If you are interested in different cultures, historical sights and beautiful countryside, I can recommend Tibet to every traveller.

Oh, you can take a look at some of my pictures from Tibet on my photo album, if you like,

Chris
Feb 9, 2005 10:25
  • MERMAID
thank u for ur sharing, Chris.
As a Chinese, i just do not like the condescending attitude of anyone toward the tibetans. I dont know if they are really happy owing to their belief, but we know we got to respect them anyway.
Thank you again for your frankness. They are the same people like us, created by God. So respect them instead of looking down up them or looking at them with strange eyes.
Feb 9, 2005 17:40
Coz it's Tibet!
Feb 9, 2005 19:51
  • MERMAID
so wat?
Tibet doesnt explain anything or our responsibility for them.
Feb 9, 2005 20:08
Men are always have the passion to explore the unknows. And Tibet is just one of them! Why bother,you don't have to go if you don't want to.But if you want to go,you must have your reasons. It's various from ppl to ppl.
That's it.
Feb 9, 2005 22:18
  • MERMAID
ok, tomorrow never die. let's calm down.
all in all, i hope those who go to Tibet can really respect the locals and their culture without condescending attitude.
Feb 9, 2005 23:27
  • ELCABRON
Hey Mermaid,

I really hope you don? misinterpret my words as being condescend. Because a blind man can see that I? not.

And if you think building a railway so that people get their Coca Cola or Heier Heater sooner makes people more happy who did not ask for it, than you should think again.
Not everyone believes in commerce as their new god and not everyone likes to get invaded and being made to a kind of disneyland.
At least that is what natives told me. There are also some other reasons for it, I don? have to mention.
From the way you talk I see you?e never been there. Just go to their holiest temple and watch the new shops with noisy techno music along the street. Or watch the huge discos and karaoke bars in front of the Potala, or the oldest business of all for the huge number of soldiers - do you know who runs them? It? a simple guess........

Do you think this is progress?

Maybe you should talk to people first before telling them what should make someone happy.

Of course nobody is against progress, everybody wants progress. BUT not at any price. Steel and concrete is not always progress:-)

Yours, sincerely,
Chris

Page 1 of 12    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: why tibet?!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code