Menu
Woman arrested
Dec 27, 2007 21:17
  • LIONPOWER
Local police in Wenzhou, a port city in east China's Zhejiang Province, have formally arrested a woman over a deadly fire that killed 21 people earlier this month.

Zhu Xiuling, the legal representative of the Duoduo Fresh Flower Horticulture Co. Ltd., was arrested on Tuesday over an allegation of having committed a major crime that caused a labor security accident, said a source with the People's Procuratorate of Lucheng District, Wenzhou City.

In a prepared document, the procuratorate alleged that to meet the need for starting up the flower store, in May 2005 Zhu built a loft with a floor space of 400 square meters inside the shop she rented on the first floor of the 28-storey Wenfu Mansion, Lucheng District. She dismantled an indoor sprinkler system and smoke detectors that had previously been installed without having obtained a permit in advance. This formed a hidden safety danger and eventually led to the tragedy.

The fire broke out at about 8:27 AM on Dec. 12 in Zhu's flower shop. It killed two people in the store and 19 others on the second floor who were attending their morning exercise class in a ballroom.

Police detained three people shortly after the fire, including Zhu. It was still unknown whether or not two others, Wu Songdi, board chairman of the Duoduo Fresh Flower Horticulture Co. Ltd., and Shao Yongsen, owner of the Yuanyuan Ballroom, would also be formally arrested and face criminal charges.

An initial investigation found that sparks from an electrical wire in the flower shop set wrapping paper and plastic flowers alight and started the fatal fire.

Rescuers safely evacuated 213 others who were initially trapped in the building where the bottom three floors were for commercial use and the rest for apartments.

Have you ever think about your fire security at office or home?
Dec 27, 2007 23:36
  • GRIZ326
In the old west of America, fire was the single greatest threat to life. ...greater than hostile native Americans, wild animals and even starvation.

People are wise to be aware of the danger of the fire.

Why the woman disabled the safety devices is left to the investigators. Is it a criminal act or simply ignorance?

It is a sad story. Perhaps good will eventually come of this terrible event.
Dec 28, 2007 01:12
I think it is down to ignorance, Griz is right, people do not respect the dangers of fire enough, I have have had to deal with fires in my job, one building I worked at we had 5 fires in one night, I was very lucky that night as a backdraft nearly got me, only a last minute dive out of the way saved me.
Alan
Dec 28, 2007 11:14
  • APAULT
The last college I taught in used to lock the only doors with a chain and padlock. I also stayed in a hotel that locked a fire exit this way. That college also had desks and books across a fire exit in the library. When I mentioned it my colleague he said "that doesn't matter in China"
Post a Reply to: Woman arrested
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code