Menu
What rivers are best
Dec 28, 2007 10:59
  • FREEBIRDNZ
Hi there,

I am only just starting to research places to visit in China and have just watched a documentry and it had the Lee River which looks amazing. Do you think it's worth going to Guilin? Is there anything else to see in this area.

I know there is also the very long Yangtze River which I also want to see so can anyone give me advice on what part of the Yangtze River is the best place to start and if doing a tourist cruise is the best way to see it.

If there are any other scenic rives that are better then the two mentioned then please let me know. Thanks,

Freebirdnz
Dec 28, 2007 14:27
  • ELLYSE
Li River, not Lee River! Have a look at Yangshuo: http://www.yangers.com
Do a hike at Tiger Leaping Gorge which's on the Jinshajiang, one of the tributaries of the Yangtze River.
The other major river in China is the Yellow River. Popular spots to see it are at Ningxia province's Shapotou (start of the river, in the desert) and Teapot Spout (Hukou) Falls on the border of Shanxi and Shaanxi provinces.
Dec 31, 2007 02:40
  • JABAROOTOO
Jinsha Jiang IS The Yangtze

If you want to learn more about it try reading Simon Winchesters book "the River through the Centre of the Earth' He makes the journey from the delta to the disputed headwaters.

Li River is pretty and the trip to Yangshuo is certainly worth it since there is quite a bit to see and do.

Hydrofoil from Wanzhou to Yichang on the Yangtze is a good fast trip and some of her tributaries offer interesting insights into the ancient trade and current transport on the river.

Tiger Leaping Gorge is one of the best place on the Yangtze but there are many other places to glimpse the river by visiting smaller towns along her length.
Dec 31, 2007 13:30
  • ELLYSE
Jinshajiang is the Yangtze, but not called by that name at that section.
Jan 30, 2008 11:58
  • FREEBIRDNZ
Hi there,

Thanks for you replies! I didn't realise anyone had replied as I wasn't sent an email so sorry and thanks very much for your advice.

I only have 3 weeks in China now so trying to fit everything in........arrghhhh.

Much appreciated!
Feb 24, 2008 01:21
  • ELLYSE
Just remember, quality over quantity.
Post a Reply to: What rivers are best
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code