Menu
How to Purchase Air Ticket for Chinese GF to visit US
Dec 31, 2007 16:14
  • JHAMMER
I think this has been answered here before, but I can't find it, so...

Anyone know how I would go about obtaining / purchasing the round trip Korean Airline tickets to give to my GF in China to come visit me in the US ?

Thanks!
Jan 1, 2008 01:25
  • DAVEC
Has your gf got visa to leave China yet? I understand its not easy to get one for US.
My gf doesnt want to visit me in UK becasue she says being single and without her own property she has to pay 5000 RMB 'deposit' just to get a visa to leave.
Jan 1, 2008 10:42
  • JHAMMER
Dave, no she does not have a visa yet but hopefully will have a tourist visa by Springtime. And this is a point of confusion, regarding the visa, but to the original point, I think I can buy an e-ticket and just have it in her name to use. I won't purchase until the Visa is in hand.

On the Visa question, we first only want a US B-2 visitors visa for her to visit for a few weeks. I compiled information from the US web sites ( much of it obviously does not apply to the UK ),

I think some of the "mileage may vary" part may be lurking in point (6) below. There may be all kinds of "tests" which it seems the US may relatively arbitrarily apply to prove a non-immigrant intent, and having money, a large deposit, ownership of certain property all seems to be fair game for the US inspectors to approve of the non-immigration status. Kind of sucks. Best of luck to you.

=====================================
Here is the result of my web-research:

There is a US Consolate in Shenyang. It can take 39 days to get an interview there, which is required for the Visa.

39 days is not all the wait, there is more, but that is the long part of the wait. So need to start work on this in next few weeks.

Things you need.

1) your Chinese passport - A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.

2) An application, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-156, completed and signed. The DS-156 must be the March 2006 date, electronic "e-form application." Select Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-156 to access the electronic version of the DS-156.

( You will apply for this kind of visa: A visitor visa (B-2) )

3) In-person interview at US embassy or Consolate

4) One (1) 2x2 photograph.

5) Application Fees for Nonimmigrant and Immigrant Visa: $131 USD. Appx 1000 RMB

6) for the application and interview, need proof of where you live, and that you have a job and family in China and things like that - because the US wants to be sure you are not trying to stay in the US permanently - that you have a home to go back to in China :-))

=========================================
===========================
This is the web address for the DS-156 form. It must be typed online, then printed to a printer.

http://evisaforms.state.gov/

Here is the Consolate site in Shenyang.

http://shenyang.usembassy-china.org.cn/
Jan 1, 2008 18:01
  • GRIZ326
JHAMMER, I am almost certain that there are no tourist visas to the US for Chinese citizens. If there were such a thing, my gal would have been her for Thanksgiving. I could be wrong; but I do not think so.
Jan 1, 2008 18:24
  • JHAMMER
Seems you are of the majority opinion, and I will need to re-evaluate.

Thanks!

It would have been considerate of the US government to simply explain this instead of waste my time with BS on their visa web site. What a bunch of losers.
Jan 1, 2008 19:57
  • CANADAGUY
JHammer, unfortunately, at least for the time being, there is a double standard re: traveling between China and the West.

China welcomes foreigners with open arms, but the West just doesn't seem to want to take a chance on Chinese. That is, all but the very wealthiest. If you are a very wealthy Chinese, then the West will welcome you.

Jan 2, 2008 07:49
  • JABAROOTOO
GOOD NEWS
Last month the US began to formerly issue Chinese citizens with a tourist visa.................

NOT SO GOOD NEWS Travel groups in both countries are rubbing their hands with glee. There's money to be made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most tourists will most likely have to travel in organised tours rather than as 'independent" travellers.

This is indeed progress and may be good timing for many of you and your friends.
Jan 2, 2008 14:18
  • CANADAGUY
>>GOOD NEWS
Last month the US began to formerly issue Chinese citizens with a tourist visa.................<<

Yes this is very good news JABAROOTOO indeed. At least for Americans.
But it should be taken with a grain of salt.

For example, Canada supposedly issues 'tourist visas' to Chinese right now.
But in practice, it's pretty much impossible to get one.
Same deal, you need to be rich to get one.

But the U.S. is up on Canada in one important department here.
They still issue 'fiancee visas'. Canada discontinued them a few years ago. It's a real drag.

By the way, that's 'formally' and not 'formerly', it's a very common mistake. :)

Jan 2, 2008 20:29
  • JHAMMER
Hrrmmm, this is interesting, but, still not worth the emotional strain of potential rejection and other immigration mis-steps to pursue a quick trip for her over here on tourist visa while awaiting a K1. I will just suck it up and make another trip over there but bring my son with me ( which was the main point of her coming here this time, to meet my 8 yr old son ).

Thanks for the news, though!
Jan 3, 2008 01:11
  • ELLYSE
Yup, much easier to bring your son to China than to bring her to the US!
Cheers!
Post a Reply to: How to Purchase Air Ticket for Chinese GF to visit US
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code