Menu
Lijiang -- Panzhihua bus, Panzhihua accommodation
Jan 1, 2008 09:43
  • ELLYSE
1) How long does the Lijiang -- Panzhihua bus take, in particular the evening departure? What time would it arrive in Panzhihua... in the middle of the night, in the wee morning hours or at daybreak?

2) If anyone has gone by this route recently, what time is the latest departure from Lijiang?

3) Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences for Panzhihua accommodation? Looking for clean and safe triple room near train station, max budget 300 RMB, though not hoping to spend all of that!

Have done a complete search for "Panzhihua" on the forum, nothing that could answer those questions! :( Thanks in advance for any replies.
Jan 1, 2008 10:22
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Ellyse
I've made the trip from Panzhihua to Lijiang and it's not the kind of trip you want to make during the night. The scenery is spectacular and the road is incredibly windy, cobbled(a little rough) and high above the rivers with steep unguarded drops.

Panzhihua, I now realize ison the Yangtze river as well although it is called the Jinsha up there.

It's a minimum of ten hours if the road is not obstructed. We had a minor accident coming into Lijiang which added and hour to our trip and the bus will make a late lunch stop and perhaps one other pit stop.

Panzhihua is a pretty decent city with a small expat community working on dams and other infrastructure outside the town and I'm sure will have plenty of good value hotels.

The bus station is on the south western outskirts on the city in a pretty seedy area and the train station is a good 20 mins or so by taxi across town. We didn't actually stop here. Just got off the early morning train and went straight to the bus. Ours left at about 7/7.30am and I doubt there are more than one or two a day on such a long haul trip.

Just have to make enquiries as soon as you arrive in Lijiang unless you get a reply to this thread.

It's a great trip.
Jan 1, 2008 10:27
  • ELLYSE
Thanks so much for the speedy reply, it's the swiftest across the 4 forums that I've posted this query on. :)
I did read some of your former postings, it seems that you made this journey in 2005, am I right? I also read some postings on Lonely Planet ThornTree which suggest that the journey took about 8 hours in daytime.
We're trying to take night buses wherever possible -- although I really don't like bus rides either, and I'm aware that the terrain in this area is quite mountainous and dangerous -- as we have extremely limited time and already only have about 1 day to spend in Lijiang.
Jan 2, 2008 07:42
  • JABAROOTOO
This is not the kind of place to rush through. You'll be sorry if you only spend one day in Lijiang. Perhaps you could leave some things for another trip.

I've been to Lijiang twice and so glad that I had several days to relax and enjoy it but we still didn't cover half of the things that we could have.
Jan 2, 2008 09:43
  • ELLYSE
I've been to Lijiang already. One of my 2 travel companions got tired of Fenghuang after only 1 day as it was too touristy, and Lijiang is even more touristy than Fenghuang. Lijiang isn't as important as some other places on this trip, we're only going there to walk around the old town a bit and watch Impressions Lijiang.
Oct 18, 2013 00:46
GUEST17341 Hi can anyone help me with logistics between Panzhihua and liJiang please?
Post a Reply to: Lijiang -- Panzhihua bus, Panzhihua accommodation
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code