Menu
Foreigner vs. national air pricing
Jan 1, 2008 13:12
  • CANADAGUY
Would anyone be able to confirm what seems to be a two-tier pricing system with Chinese airlines?

Prices that are being quoted to me online are approximately twice as much as what I paid when I booked the same flight in China last summer. I'm talking about flights inside China (local).

The reason I'd like to know is because if I can buy a ticket once I arrive in China at a much cheaper price I'll do that.

Along the same lines, will there be additional aircraft added to meet the flying demands around the Chinese New Year (so that my plan of buying a ticket in China could work)?

Thanks!
Jan 1, 2008 18:05
  • GRIZ326
I reserved seats on two in-China flights online because of the travel over-load during Spring Festival. Yes, double the fare sounds about right. No, I would not count on extra aircraft flying during Spring Festival.
Jan 1, 2008 18:57
  • CANADAGUY
Thanks Griz.

OK it sounds like buying a plane ticket in China won't be an option.

I might have a few more options.
The airfare to Beijing or Hong Kong isn't too bad. When you add the leg from either of those two cities to Guangzhou it starts to hurt quite a bit.

So I'm wondering if it's doable to fly to Hong Kong and buy a train or bus ticket, a day or two before the Spring Festival?
If it's possible would it be taking a chance? Ie. could I be stranded in Hong Kong for more than a few hours?

Thanks!
Jan 1, 2008 21:22
  • ELLYSE
Don't be paranoid. Prices now won't be cheap simply because it's Spring Festival, not because of your skin colour!
Jan 1, 2008 21:46
  • CANADAGUY
>>Don't be paranoid. Prices now won't be cheap simply because it's Spring Festival, not because of your skin colour! <<

That's good to hear Ellyse!
You can help me in making my choice for an airplane booking if you can tell me
if I'll be able to buy a train or bus ticket on Feb 5, or Feb 6, 2008 to travel from HK to Guangzhou, within a few hours of the purchase?

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2008 22:55
  • MTHOPESCH
Check out flights to Shenzhen. Should be much cheaper from Beijing and is just accross the border from HK.

Transfer HK to Guangzhou is no problem by bus or train even it may get a bit crowded.

Best,

markus
Jan 2, 2008 07:32
  • JABAROOTOO
All airfares within China increase by at least 40% or more just before, and during Spring Festival Week so it is a good idea to fly a few days earlier than the majority and take advantage of more availability and lower prices.

Chinese domestic fares are always a little more if they a purchased through International Travel Agencies. I find the same thing when purchasing tickets from OZ. It is the system not China.

You can always get great discounted tickets within China regardless of your nationality. Prices are strictly governed and you rarely get 'ripped off' here outside of the hiked up prices for the 'Golden Week' holidays. Everyone gets stung on those.

So you have the luxury of avoiding the peak period and so avoiding the peak prices.

Always check fares from Shenzhen and Guangzhou as suggested above. They are usually cheaper and there are many options everyday. If you are not on a tight schedule you can take your pick.

I've said before that the prices quoted on the above links are often more than what you pay over the counter from an agent but there are still some great discounted fares on offer - up to 40% off if you book online.
Jan 2, 2008 07:36
  • JABAROOTOO
Peak week begins on the 2nd Feb for at least 7 days so getting anything for these days will be the 'full' holiday prices and most probably hard to come by if you have not bought it early.
Jan 2, 2008 14:08
  • CANADAGUY
Thanks JABAROOTOO for the travel tips, I really appreciate it!

I am in a unusual situation where there is a 90% chance that I will be traveling to China for the Spring Festival.
Would it be possible for my girlfriend to buy/reserve a plane/train/bus ticket now, going from HK or Shenzhen to Gunagzhou and have the option of canceling the ticket last minute? If so, do you know what the cancellation penalties would be?

Thanks!
Jan 2, 2008 20:31
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Plane tickets can be reserved for a period of time before being issued, there is a deadline when you have to purchase it or your seat is cancelled. If there are the same kind of seats available, you can rebook it for a new deadline. But that only works with a travel agency or an airline with whom you can be in email, phone or in-person contact. It might work for online purchase with a customer service.
Jan 2, 2008 22:03
  • CANADAGUY
Thanks Faeriequeen. It sounds like it's the same as booking in the West.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigner vs. national air pricing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code