Menu
Obedient children won’t make great achievements after growing up.
Jan 3, 2008 00:19
  • KATRINA
A popular saying goes like this in China: obedient children won’t make great achievement after they grow up. To be specific, the belief is: those who are obedient in the childhood won’t make big achievements after growing up; while the naughty or rebellious Children often achieved a lot after growing up. The popular ground for the belief is that obedient children follow all the rules their parents and society set and they are usually conventional. They lack the courage to break conventions. On the contrary, rebellious or naughty children defy the old conventional rules and like to do something unusual. They are bolder and hence more likely to succeed in the future. Do you believe in this theory? Do you have met such people who are naughty in the childhood but make a great difference after growing up?
Jan 3, 2008 18:11
  • GRIZ326
I could list countless cases where this is true. Obedient people make good workers and good management staff.

Many American women like bad boys because they are more fun. (I do not know if that is true of Chinese women.) ...it is pretty much the same theory at play.

However, I would bet that most of those bad boys are just bad boys and won't do as well as the obedient child once the bad boy charm wears off.

Jan 3, 2008 19:45
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Yes, I do believe in that. If you study the lives of successful people, they are usually the eccentrics, geeks, nerds, and weirdoes. They are the ones who never follow the latest fashion. They are usually the school drop outs. They are hungry for more than what is obvious. They are the ones who never fit in school and never follow the norms. Some would call this rebelliousness. The thing about being obedient is you put yourself in a “box” made by other people hoping that they would like you and approve of you. This is all well if all you want is stagnation. Progress always requires a great leap of faith and deviating from the usual. It’s been proven again and again.
Jan 3, 2008 20:39
  • SUNNYDREAM
SHESGOTTOBE,

I also think so. There are more cases that " rebellious children" make a great difference after they grow up. " Being naughty" is kids' nature. If kids are not naughty, they have lost their property.After growing up, naughty kids become mature. They reflect on their behavior and make a big change.
Jan 8, 2008 20:50
  • LEOPOLD219
"Obedient children won’t make great achievements after growing up". It sounds that all kids should be naughty enough to drive parents crazy. I do admit that many obedient Childern turn bad after they grow up. Hitler is said to be very obedient when he was a child. We all know what he did after growing up.
Feb 24, 2011 04:40
GUEST39625
Quote:

Originally Posted by KATRINA View Post

A popular saying goes like this in China: obedient children won’t make great achievement after they grow up. To be specific, the belief is: those who are obedient in the childhood won’t make big achievements after growing up; while the naughty or rebellious Children often achieved a lot after growing up. The popular ground for the belief is that ob...
Post a Reply to: Obedient children won’t make great achievements after growing up.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code