Menu
Top 10 Chinese highest earning stars in 2007
Jan 3, 2008 21:44
  • ICEBLUE
Chinese Kung Fu actor Jet Li, followed by Jackie Chan, Jackie Cheung and many others, earned the most money in 2007 among China's entertainment elite, totaling some 465 million yuan (US$63.93 million), as listed by Shanghai-based Oriental Morning Post on Wednesday.

It was the third year that the newspaper printed precise calculations covering stars' annual incomes based on their media coverage.

The 44-year-old actor starred in three films in 2007, "The Warlords", "The Forbidden Kingdom" and "The Mummy 3." His salary from "The Warlords" alone was 100 million yuan. - a sharp rise considering that he only received one yuan for his debut film "The Shaolin Temple" 27 years ago.

Following him was another action star, Jackie Chan, with the total pool of about 428 million yuan.

Hong Kong pop king Jackie Cheung ranked first among the singers, thanks to his 2007 world tour show, which presented altogether 75 concerts.

Malaysia-born Chinese ethnic actress Michelle Yeoh was the richest female star of the past year, raking in an annual income of 80 million yuan. She occupied the seventh spot.

The Taiwan girl group S.H.E. were the only female singers on the list. They earned about 62.5 million yuan from their concerts, shows and TV commercials.

Movie star Jet Li speaks during a news conference for the movie "The Forbidden Kingdom,"

Jan 3, 2008 21:46
  • ICEBLUE
2007 richest stars list
1 Jet Li 465 million yuan (US$63.93 million)
2 Jackie Chan 428 million yuan (US$58.85 million)
3 Jackie Cheung 340 million yuan (US$46.75 million)
4 Tony Leung 290 million yuan (US$39.87 million)
5 Andy Lau 230 million yuan (US$31.62 million)
6 Chow Yun-Fat 170 million yuan (US$23.37 million)
7 Michelle Yeoh 80 million yuan (US$11 million)
8 Zhang Ziyi 65 million yuan (US$8.93 million)
9 S.H.E 62.5 million yuan (US$8.59 million)
10 Jay Chou 60 million yuan (US$8.25 million)
Jan 3, 2008 21:51
  • ICEBLUE
Do you know any of them? In China, show-biz is producing numerous stars. Stepping into showbiz can help a nobody from nowhere gain instant fame overnight. It is a shortcut to become rich.
Jan 3, 2008 22:14
  • MOONDOLLARS
Yes that's true they are worth a lot now, but you don't know what they had to go through to get to where they are right now. Plus, these people are earning the big bucks for good reasons - they're good and they met the right people. You can't say that about the thousands that try to go into showbiz every year. I bet they made many sacrifices along the way as well. Besides, $11 million dollars? That'll last you many lifetimes...

- moondollars
http://community.faithvine.com/blogs/moondollars
Jan 4, 2008 02:11
  • ROMANCE
I'm wondering that if a film star is no longer popular and has less and less chance to make the scene in the films, what can he/she do to make a living?
Just rely on the fortune he/she made in their hot time?
Jan 5, 2008 21:12
  • AL32
All I'll say on this is: fortune can't buy happiness.
I know that it helps...but you get my point... I hope.
They might have done big sacrifices in their life to get there, but being rich is definately not the end of it for them. Money bring other headaches that you can't pay to get rid of believe me! Numbers, just numbers!!... Where is the love? Lol !
Jan 5, 2008 23:48
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I agree, AL. Personally, I believe having money is a great thing, but it shouldn't rule your life. How's that? Use the money. Don't let it use you. While other people have problems how to have more money, there are some people whose problems were created by having too much money. Gosh, I know a family who are killing each other for the family fortune, or sisters who have not talked to each other for 20 years because of estate inheritance. >_<

Bill Gates, for all his billions said he would only leave about $10 million each to his two children. He said having a lot of money is too much of a responsibility. Most of the money are going to the Gates Foundation to fund research on developing vaccines to combat diseases like Aids and malaria. I think even the Hilton patriarch just announced that he would donate most of his wealth and just leave about 6% to his heirs.
Jan 6, 2008 08:36
  • AL32
I'd gladly take just 0.01% of his fortune -no problem!! Too much of a responsibilty to have a fortune!?; heck! just hire a team of 20 financial analysts and ask them to invest it for you..that should do it!!
But joke aside, I noticed that as soon as we talk about money, we (me first) tend to think about the rich people and forget that it's not the ones up there or even the middle-class that is hurt; it's the ones with not enough money to feed themselve. I think of Chinese farmers that live on less than a 1,000 yuan a year. I heard a story not so long ago from a friend that visited a farmer once and that the poor man had never seen a 100 kwai bill before...sad, sad.

And I know only #1,2, 5, 7, 8 and 9 on your list. And as last comment on this, I would say that actors, just like professional sports plpayers are just paid too much. I think that nobody deserve to ear 15 million$ to make a single movie or play a single season of professional sport; this is just plain illogic to me. But hey, good for them!!
Jan 6, 2008 23:03
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Somebody once told me that it is not so hard to figure out why the world is messed up. We idolize athletes and actors more than the teachers and farmers. If you ask a child what does he want to become when he grow up, be a basketball player like Yao Ming or be a teacher, he’d easily choose Yao Ming over being teacher. Jet Li and a farmer? Jet Li, of course. There’s no contest. This is the same even for adults. We tend to put celebrities on pedestals they hardly deserve. There is no question about the value of what farmers and teachers contribute to the world. While athletes and entertainers have their own place and use in our lives, their value has been grossly exaggerated.
Jan 7, 2008 20:13
  • LEONARDO
SHESGOTTOBE
"We idolize athletes and actors more than the teachers and farmers." Very good points.Yeah, this world is a little messed up. ( Am I cynical ?) We are going too crazy about the celebs. The distribution of wealth is unfair. A poor farmer who works very hard get few rewards. He plants crops perspiring in the sun for a whole year. Only to be paid no more than several thousands Yuan. A celeb in showbiz attend a talk show and gossip for a second. He/she can get tens of thousands Kuai. The value of the working poor's labour has been degraded; wheras the value of these so-called celes have been extremely overstated.
Jan 8, 2008 20:42
  • LEOPOLD219
I agree with AL32. Fortune can not buy happiness. Well, have we ever thought about a question: without fortune, can we live a happy life?If we have to beg on the street, will we feel happy? Just think it over, buddy.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Top 10 Chinese highest earning stars in 2007
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code