Menu
Traveling with 3 kids
Jan 4, 2008 07:29
  • FUDDRULES
In the summer of 2009, I may be visiting and if so, it will be with my 3 daughters, ages 12, 10 & 8. As of now, I believe we would be visiting Beijing and the Guilin area but I'm still researching exactly what we would like to do.

What major/minor problems should/could I anticipate with 3 kids?

Example - Do Hotels allow for 2 adults and 3 children in a room? Would it be better (price wise) to get 2 standard rooms or 1 larger room? I could also bring a an mattress if that would be allowed?
Jan 4, 2008 08:01
  • ELLYSE
I would suggest instead that you try looking for serviced apts.
http://www.tripadvisor.com has some good ones.
Jan 4, 2008 14:33
  • FUDDRULES
Thanks Ellyse - that seems like a much better option. I appreciate the help.
Jan 4, 2008 14:52
  • JCNILE123
Hotels in China are not very expensive, so I am sure you can afford them easily.
Chinese hotels are very good; a three stars or four stars are very good hotels, and so are five, price wise, better than the west.

With the children, you are ok; China is a very safe, in fact, better and safer than many, many countries.

Food, ones you travel out of your country you had better be safe than sorry, personally I just ask for my food to be very hot, and I make sure it is very hot and fresh cook. Water, use bottle water only, and you can have the best experience ever as you travel around China.

Always have some cold and stomach medicine, sun protection, wipes and some alcohol-based hand cleaning this last one very important.
Jan 4, 2008 21:54
  • ELLYSE
I usually would have no qualms suggesting 2 hotel rooms, but some parents would like to be in the same room (or at least not 2 different rooms) with their children, so serviced apts might be a better option. Also, kitchen is useful in case the children are fussy about what they eat for breakfast.
Jan 4, 2008 22:56
  • JCNILE123
Ellyse, you are so right about it.
I ought to consult with you on my next august trip to China.

Thank you.
Jan 4, 2008 23:08
  • ELLYSE
Hehe you're welcome. If anyone would like to email me, please send to yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg jcnile123) in the subject line, thanks.
Jan 7, 2008 03:19
  • JABAROOTOO
Dear Fudd family,

Many hotels in China offer rooms with up to four or five beds with ensuites which would suit your family.

Some rooms are huge and can easily fit an extra fold up bed. You could bring an air mattress and one of your girls could sleep on the floor as you suggested. Hotel would just assume that they were sharing a bed as many of the locals do with their children even on the train.

We once had six bunks in a cabin with six adults and five kids. Needless to say I was the only one not sharing my bunk.

I have travelled with three or four friends and they are not hard to find and IMO the price would be far cheaper than serviced apts.

Jan 7, 2008 10:31
  • LIONPOWER
In the summer of 2009?
To long time. You will forget these helps. Better to ask just before your departure.
Jan 7, 2008 11:05
  • FUDDRULES
Thanks again to everyone - it's helped me get a starting point. I just wasn't sure how the hotels worked in China and with a family of 5, it's usually not an issue in the U.S. since we are a family of 5, and not 5 adults trying to cram into 1 room. Sounds like we have a bunch of options which is good.

I won't forget about the advise here and will likely visit this site from time to time to check in on the latest questions and have more of my own questions.

I actually planned about 12 months for a simple 5-day trip to Walt Disney World in Florida. Certainly more research will be required for this trip. I like to plan, plan and then plan some more. That's part of the fun to me.

I'd also rather not sign up for some large tour groups. Too much money (we don't have that much) and too many people that have varing interests. I like to set my own intinerary and doing that for China will be a challenging, yet fun, adventure for me.
Jan 7, 2008 17:01
  • ELLYSE
I'm not a tour duckie either!
Post a Reply to: Traveling with 3 kids
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code