Menu
Foreign Food
Jan 5, 2008 09:21
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Are foreign foods popular in China? When I visited Guangzhou earlier this year, over the course of 2 weeks I craved for things like Thai, Vietnamese, Italian, Latin, Indian and others. I live in California where all these are available within 10 minutes but how about there in China? The only foreign food I encountered was Mcdonalds.
Jan 5, 2008 16:20
  • JCNILE123
there are Argentinean for a delicious juicy steak, Mexican for the tex-mex that we know, any many Vietnamese also, I can provide you with the names to this restaurants we visited, I have to ask my girl friend since she was the one in charge as we traveled around Guangzhou and China.
Jan 5, 2008 16:23
  • JCNILE123
(and many Vietnamese) sorry
Jan 5, 2008 23:52
  • SHESGOTTOBE
My friend told me about a Thai restaurant at World Trade Center in Guangzhou. It’s called Banana Leaf, I think. There’s also Pizza Hut, Shakey’s and Furusato Japanese Restaurant. ^_^

I've seen some Japanese restaurants when I was in Beijing.
Jan 6, 2008 01:39
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Thanks for the offer JCNILE123 but I think I will try my hand next time and see what happens because I don't want to trouble you and your girlfriend, perhaps I will run into something we both haven't been to and I will post it here after my next trip. That is great that you have a girlfriend there to show you around, Guangzhou is a huge place.

If you don't mind, did you get a lot of attention like the situation in your picture everywhere you went in Guangzhou?
Jan 6, 2008 23:47
  • JCNILE123
Ok, Dest, keep me posted if you discover a good one.
Jan 7, 2008 00:27
  • JCNILE123
About the picture, I most tell you that people was extraordinarily nice to me,
In addition, many times they ask my girl friend about my nationality.
Jan 7, 2008 02:18
  • JABAROOTOO
In most larger and some smaller cities of China, those where Expat communities are well established you will find ample 'foreign food' restaurants. Gerally speaking, the food will tend to reflect origins of the majority of expats. From Korea, then there will be more Korean restaurants. India or Pakistan then you'll find more Indian style food.

The LP of course gives the best coverage in the most obvious cities but ask around and you'll find more than you expect in the most unusual of places.

Large international hotels always have a good selection of foreign food but at a price and the Holiday Inn's usually have a good market to buy food and ingredients as well.
Jan 7, 2008 02:52
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Thanks for all the replies.

Have any of you guys been to Pizza Hut here in the US? Here in California its just one of those Pizza Chains but I ate at one in Hong Kong and they are completely opposite there! They have waiters and a huge menu, sort of like a place you would take a girl for dinner/date.
Jan 7, 2008 13:33
  • CARLOS
While being in China I have eaten only Chinese. Ooh, my stomach was happy then :-)
Well, drank coffee at McDonald´s once, that didn´t make me happy, lol.

In Nanning I saw Indian and Thai restaurants, but did not eat in them.

IMO Pizza Hut slices taste the same in Helsinki, Stockholm and Kopenhagen. Can´t imagine it wouldn´t taste the same elsewhere, too.

Carlos

Jan 8, 2008 00:06
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Wow it seems that everybody is heading to Nanning.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreign Food
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code