Menu
Places near Chengdu to visit
Jan 6, 2008 03:53
  • DAVEC
I will be in Chengdu in April for 3 weeks and need to find some places to visit in and around the city. I will be in an apartment for the time I am there so ideally I am just looking for day trips. I won't be going to the big tourist areas such as Leshan, Ermei and Jiuzhaigou until my next visit.
Ideally I am looking for older historical places to see.
Jan 6, 2008 16:39
  • ELLYSE
Sanxingdui Museum: http://www.sxd.cn
Jan 6, 2008 16:42
  • DAVEC
Thanks for the tip, is the site available in english? my chinese is not so good
Jan 7, 2008 00:54
  • ELLYSE
It used to be.
In any case put it through Google Translate: http://translate.google.com
Jan 7, 2008 02:08
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Davec,
Dujiangyan - the irrigation diversion system is just outside and well worth the visit for the day or overnight and take in the Mountains nearby. There's plenty online info.

But gee if you've got three weeks why not head out west a little - just days travel from Chengdu and Wenchuan stay around Maerkang. It is a treasure trove of scenery and ethnic diversity dating back thousands of years.

I've yet to post my reviews but I cannot recommend it more highly if you don't need to be staying in Chengdu Check out the photos though.
Jan 7, 2008 03:01
  • ARLENA
Try Tao Ping - a small ancient city well worth a look - about 4 hours from Chengdu though- no real hotels - just ase for a room for the night ( come on you just have to stay away one night!) at any of the small shops when you get off the bus. The mountain drive is a tad scary but well worth it.
Arlena
Jan 7, 2008 17:15
  • DAVEC
I like the idea of staying away but not sure if the gf will be too impressed. The reason I want to stay in Chengdu is that I will be staying with her for the 3 weeks and we only see each other twice a year. She will be working except the weekends and I thought I could go out for the day and still be home in time to cook for her.
We will go to Yinchang gorge for one weekend, maybe I can go a bit further with her another weekend.
Dont know about mountain roads, I get scared to death just going around town in a taxi.
Jan 8, 2008 16:49
  • DAVEC
I forgot to ask, what sort of weather can I expect in the region during late april/ early may ?
Jan 8, 2008 17:50
  • ELLYSE
Look on the following weather sites:
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/56294.html
http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:CHXX0052
Jan 9, 2008 10:08
  • JABAROOTOO
It will still be cool but if it's fine and sunny in the mountains it will be nice and warm during the day. I stayed in Taoping last May (yet to post it up) It's a little commercial but it is a great weekend trip just 20mins by minibus from Wenchuan City.

Family guesthouses for around Y40/50 per head including meals and loads of really old and interesting things to see including the three watchtowers. Now with the May holiday has been scraped it may not be such a busy weekend in early May.

Most visitors don't stay overnight so in the evenings and early mornings is it quiet but because it is close enough to Chengdu for day trips it gets a lot now. If you go I can give you more info on where to stay etc

I've heard there are similar villages around Wenchuan as well. Your GF should be able to find out more about these kind of places from Chinese websites.

So get out there and take her with you....................
Jan 9, 2008 12:23
  • DAVEC
I would love to take her but she will have to work for most of the time when I am there. The trip was planned for this time so she at least had the May holiday, sadly not now.
Plus she will probably get bored wandering around with me as all I do is take photos,eat,take photos,eat,take more photos and then sleep.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Places near Chengdu to visit
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code