Menu
Need Help!
Jan 7, 2008 04:00
  • ELEMENT
The hotel is centrally located on Nanjing Road, Shanghai's famous walking mile.

Dear friends here, I guess the words "walking mile" mean the "shopping street" in the above sentence. Am i right? Is that a standard English phrase or usage? Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Jan 7, 2008 10:33
  • APAULT
It is not standard British or Australian English. We are more likely to say 'pedestrian street/plaza'. In Guilin, I heard the no vehicle street called the 'walking street', so I guess the 'walking' part you referred to is a Chinese variation that has caught on. The 'mile' is clearly British or American, being the largest measurement of distance (about 1.5km).

Somehow, I find it hard to imagine it is an American phrase: it would surely be something more complex like 'perambulatory precinct' (!!) .... but I am ready to be corrected!
Jan 7, 2008 19:46
  • ELEMENT
Thank you every much APAULT for your detailed response. In view of your words, I guess this must be a Chinglish wrong expression.
Jan 9, 2008 10:43
  • JABAROOTOO
There's nothing Chinglish about it.

It's just a useful 'turn of phrase' or coining of two words to give the reader some idea of the length of Nanjings shopping/walking street.

Most of us in the English speaking world are very familiar with the measurement of the 'mile' even if we don't use it regularly. I grew up on it so I think I still think in miles as I'm sure you still do,Paul.

Anyway, consider the sound of 'walking mile' in comparison to 'walking kilometer/s'

Which would you prefer to hear and/say?

The former is my choice for both the above options. Would you not agree????
Jan 10, 2008 00:29
  • ELEMENT
Thank your for your explanation, JABAROOTOO. I learn more about it now. As not a native English speaker, I am not very familiar with this kind of usage. Now I get it. Thank you very much. ^_^
Post a Reply to: Need Help!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code