Menu
Yangtze River Dwellers
Jan 7, 2008 14:52
  • CANADAGUY
The Subject Title is innocent enough, but the content of this thread is very serious.

Please have a look at this recently aired video and then read the comments below the video.

The video shows the environmental/human price that China is paying to fuel their economy.

***Warning***
The content near the very end of the video is particularly disturbing to watch.

http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video
/internationalus/yangtze_river_dwellers.html
Jan 9, 2008 03:06
  • DREAMLIFE
Seeing the subject of your post, I just made a guess that you were talking about the side-effects of Three Gorges Dam, CANADAGUY. After finishing the Three Gorges Dam project, more electricity is sure to generate. This is good. However, the destruction to its surrounding environment is serious. Really sad!

Actually, the government has tried their best to prevent eovironment pollution along the Yangtze River. When the officals came their for inspection, all factories are closed. But when they leave there, those factories are open again. Those owners of the factories are lured by the profits and they never think about their children and future generations. If things can not be improved, Yangtze River may become a 'black' river.
Jan 9, 2008 17:28
  • CANADAGUY
Hi Dreamlife,

>> Those owners of the factories are lured by the profits and they never think about their children and future generations. If things can not be improved, Yangtze River may become a 'black' river. <<

Yes that is very sad indeed when companies just think of profits and not the people and environment they affect.

I didn't mean to imply that China is the only one who is guilty of this behaviour.
I'm sure most countries around the world are just as guilty in one way or another.

Canada is no exception. Here is a link to a video that was aired last month by the CBC. It shows how Canada's oil companies are getting richer and richer at the expense of the environment. The comments below the video show how outraged most of the viewers are after they have seen the video.

http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video/
environmentscience/crude_awakening.html
Jan 9, 2008 20:01
  • DREAMLIFE
Quote: I didn't mean to imply that China is the only one who is guilty of this behaviour.
I'm sure most countries around the world are just as guilty in one way or another.

CANADAGUY, I see your point. Environmental protection is a global issue and each country should make its efforts to protect the environment.
Jan 10, 2008 02:17
  • APAULT
This is just one instance, a large scale example of what is happening in China and has been happening for a long time in the developed world.

The balance between development and the environment always favours development or profit. The Chinese government is following the advice of DenXiaoPing in developing first and solving the problems later...very understandable for a country that needs to develop. But when will the problems be addressed (and the resiting of up to 2 million people from the area of the dam can never be changed back)? Hopefully soon!

I was reading a US investment newsletter yesterday that suggested that China is preparing to spend 500 BILLION dollars on the environment and developing clean industry. Doubtful though I am, I sure hope this is true. Then with it's future might it can force the same on the rest of the world.

Ok, but we all like to believe in fairies once in a while!
Jan 11, 2008 03:42
  • JIMMYB
Quote: The Chinese government is following the advice of DenXiaoPing in developing first and solving the problems later...very understandable for a country that needs to develop. But when will the problems be addressed (and the resiting of up to 2 million people from the area of the dam can never be changed back)? Hopefully soon!

Paul, I am afraid that you have a wrong understanding of Deng Xiaoping's Theory. When I was in high school, I learnded from my book that Chinese government had reiterated many times China couldn't copy those developed nations' way of development---developing first and solving the problems later. Unfortunately, it hasn't been implemented very well. Theory is always theory and it is objective and rational. However, people are not rational sometimes.
Jan 12, 2008 23:41
  • APAULT
Sorry, my understanding of Deng Xiaoping's theory is second hand... it is what I have gleaned from students who were required to debate the topics of the 'Harmonious Society' and 'Scientific Development'. In each, they seemed somewhat vague on real examples even though they were good on the slogans.

Indeed, Jimmy, for the sake of all the world, I wish that China could find an alternative to copying the developed nations' rape of our planet. Regretably so far........................ ah well, there's always tomorrow.
Jan 15, 2008 03:09
  • JIMMYB
Quote: Regretably so far........................ ah well, there's always tomorrow.

Yes, we should be optimistic. But I don't want to see tomorrow turns into the Day After Tomorrow (a movie).
Post a Reply to: Yangtze River Dwellers
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code