Menu
Chinese Movies
Jan 15, 2008 10:36
  • CARLOS
Seeing Chinese movies here is not too usual. Most shown here in tv are kung fu films and I must say I am not very fond of them.
However, surprisingly yesterday came "Raining in the mountain", Kong shan ling yu, don´t know about pronuncation.
Same time came Bond - The spy who loved me from other channel, but, as Bond-liker I am, decided to watch Raining in the mountain. Did not regret it.

King Hu as director, headed by Hsu Feng, Sun Yuek and Shik Chun

Thanks to the gods of www, I don´t have to struggle telling about the movie, found and copied one from Clarke Fountain, New York Times.

In this lavishly photographed story, set in a Buddhist monastery during the Ming Dynasty (14th-17th centuries), the monastery is in turmoil, wondering who the government is going to appoint as its next abbot. A number of outside dignitaries have been invited for the announcement and enthronement of the next abbot, and the tensions in the monastery are only heightened when one of these guests steals a venerated sutra from the Mahayana canon of Buddhist scriptures.

Carlos

Jan 15, 2008 21:58
  • LEMONCACTUS
Thanks for all replies and recommendations.

I have another couple of my own to add.

First is 活着 (To Live/Life) from Zhang Yimou. 1994.
Film about one ordinary family's life through roughly 1940s to 1970s; a very turbulent time in Chinese history. I think it's amazing. In common with the above movies, very moving, at times tragic, at times uplifting... worth watching.

Also by the same director 千里走单骑 (Riding alone for thousands of miles) 2005.
Movie about a Japanese father whose estranged son is dying and refuses to see him. The father makes a journey to Yunnan Province to complete a project started by his son in an effort to do something for his son, and also heal the rift. Gorgeous scenery and splendid performances abound. Quite a lot is spoken in Japanese.

What strikes me about many of these movies is that the performances are so natural, understated and compelling that I feel as though I'm not watching a movie. This really appeals to me at the moment, I feel I've overdosed on phoney-flying flicks and Hollywood big-budget monsters.

I do reserve a special place for 周星驰's movies, though.

LC
Jan 18, 2008 18:44
  • NICHOLAS
LC,

千里走单骑 I have this movie at home at really love it.

I watch for too much cinema. There is a great Mongolian film called "The cave of the yellow dog". If you can find yourself a copy of that I also highly regard this movie.

Take Care,

Nick
Jan 19, 2008 02:17
  • CHERYL
Any other famous Chinese movies that worth seeing?
Jan 22, 2008 21:56
  • LEMONCACTUS
Another one I just watched last night.

It's called Kekexili, 可可西里 the slightly banal English name is "Mountain Patrol". Made in 2004.

It's based on the true story of a group of Tibetan's desperately trying to protect the Tibetan Antelope against poachers from 1993-1996. The story follows a Beijing journalist who goes to cover the story after the killing of one of the patrolmen.

The scenery, as you can imagine, is both stunning and terrifying. The story is stark, gripping and unsentimental. I am left with the single-mindedness of the men, their selfless determination and courage to protect a species from extinction.

Definitely recommend it!

LC
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Movies
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code