Menu
Say bye-bye to plastic bags!
Jan 9, 2008 02:07
  • DREAMLIFE
It is said that the State Council has released a notice that shops supermarkets and sales outlets are not allowed to offer free plastic bags and all carrier must be marked with their prices. To deal with environment pollution, the notice calls on people to use cloth bags or bring their baskets. For the manufactures, sale and use of bags under 0.025mm thick is banned from the same date, with fines and confiscation of goods and profits for firms that flout the rules.

"The cabinet also said finance authorities should consider adjusting taxes to discourage the production and sale of plastic bags and encourage the recycling industry. "

According to the data, Chinese people use about three billion plastic bags a day. How about one month, one year? Horrible!

Applause for the policy!

Jan 9, 2008 10:45
  • GRIZ326
It sounds like a good policy, but it will clash with the interests of business. People go to stores and buy more than their baskets can hold. They need the bags to carry all of their purchases.
Jan 9, 2008 19:42
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I think that’s a good move. I hope it gets implemented on a large scale. I usually save the grocery bags whenever I shop at Walmart or other stores for future use. I always have some extra shopping bags in my car. ^_^
Jan 9, 2008 19:52
  • DREAMLIFE
Quote: It sounds like a good policy, but it will clash with the interests of business. People go to stores and buy more than their baskets can hold. They need the bags to carry all of their purchases.

Well, if they buy more than their baskets can hold, they should bring some bags when shoping. Just as the news said, use cloth bags instead of plastic bags. The key is that most people don't have awareness of reusing those plastic bags. When they come home, they just throw those bags away.
Jan 10, 2008 08:54
  • JABAROOTOO
I take a carry bag with me each time I shop and despite showing the 'checkout chicks' before they begin to run up my shopping, without fail they put my shopping into as many different bags as they can possible manage.

I usually catch them in time now and unpack whatever they have managed to bag and repack my own carry bag.

It is a great move to legislate but it will take a little while for it to catch on enough to make a difference.

Most Chinese have until recently used alternatives so it should not be too hard to encourage them to revert to these options for the sake of the environment.
Jan 11, 2008 00:01
  • APAULT
It is great news but I doubt that it will be implemented. Read the Chinese Labour Laws, they are totally ignored so why should we expect the law on plastic bags to beenforced??
Jan 11, 2008 01:21
  • ELLEN77
Yes it is a good news. Don't be worried for the trouble of shopping, the businessmen will think out a way out. But I also doubt if it will be carried out effectively, especially in the small palces. Just think about the prohibition of one-off wood chopsticks! I remember the topic was also heated in the past years. But till most of restaurants are still using them.
Jan 11, 2008 10:12
  • LIONPOWER
In our country plastic or polybags banned before 5 years to save the sewerage line blocking and anti environmental factors.

Initial stage we feel many problem, now city sewerage have no blocking.
So its a good policy.

Jan 22, 2008 03:06
GUESTANDY The policy is easy to make but it is hard to get rid of people's habit.
Jan 22, 2008 10:47
  • APAULT
We can all help without the law simply by taking reusable cloth bags to the shops.

I cannot understand why polystyrene lunch boxes were not included, these are a real menace.
Jan 22, 2008 19:08
  • SERENA07
A good policy? I also doubt that it will be implemented. The policy will have little effect even it can be implemented.

I think things would be like this otherwise: people still carry their pachases by plastic bags; however, the shops, supermarkets and other sales outlets earn an extra profit by selling these bags. What a pity!

The best policy is to ban or fine or at least lay a heavier tax on plastic bag producers. That will be more effective!!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Say bye-bye to plastic bags!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code