Menu
My travel plans in China- comments welcome...
Jan 10, 2008 03:23
  • IYAVOR
Hi

I'm planning a trip to China, starting on the 28th of January in Hong Kong, and ending on the 16th of March, in Beijing.

This is my rough itinerary until now:

Week 1- Hong Kong, Macau and vicinity- first few days to get to know China, the rail system, etc. then some hiking and sightseeing. Stay in Hong Kong over the weekend.

Week 2- Travel to Shenzhen and Guangzhou and sightseeing- walking around cities.

Week 3- Travel to Guilin- spend 2 days there. Travel to Hunan Province
Week 4- Visiting Hunan province, mostly 3 days stay in Zhangjiajie
Week 5- Travel to Xi-an and tour city. Travel to Shanghai (possibly by plane).

Week 6- Visit in Shanghai, Hongzhou and Suzhou. Travel to Beijing.
Week 7- Visit in Beijing. Travel home.

My travelling will be mostly by train, I think, with a possibility for a plane trip from Xi-an. Of course, I am a budget traveller.

I'd appreciate any comments on these travel plans.

Regards,
Ilan
Jan 10, 2008 07:41
  • ELLYSE
For Xi'an -- Suzhou take the overnight train. Then bus to Hangzhou, and finally train to Shanghai.
Jan 16, 2008 06:35
  • JABAROOTOO
Looks good. Hope you plan to travel overland between Guilin, Guangxi to Hunan's Zhengjiajie.

There is some great scenery and the smaller minorities that inhabit these provinces are equally interesting.

Enjoy your trip
Jan 16, 2008 07:42
  • APAULT
I agree with Jabaroo, but don't take any brass monkeys** with you, it was cold cold in mid summer up in those mountains. Why o why come at this time of year, so cold and short days? Further north you can expect sub zero temperatures most of the time too. Southg of the Yangtze I doubt that the budget hotels will have heating
(**There is an old English proverb: "It's cold enough to freeze the b.lls off a brass monkey')

You are not trying to travel too fast which is good. Hong Kong and Macau are quite a bit different from the Mainland - and the mainland train system does not apply there. Hong Kong has good walking according to their TV. I am not sure what you mean by hiking... but in the strict sense of the word, the mainland around HK/Macau is not hiking territory.

Why do you want to visit Shenzhen? It is totally modern. Girls love it for the great shops. Guangzhou is a little better. Stay in the non-affiliated youth hostel (if that is what you mean by budget) on Shamian Island. There is an IYHA affiliated one futher easyt close to the river but I haven't been there (ignore the one by the old/west/main railway station.

You can catch a night bus to Guilin from Tian He bus station but you will miss some good scenery. I couldn't find a day bus, but they do exist. Most people spend be more time around Guilin and Yangshuo, though I don't like teh latter......and check out my thread questioning if there is enough water in the river for the standard river trip to Yangshuo.

The Hunan area with minorities is well worth a visit. I suggest taking a bus from behind the Guilin bus station to Sanjiang...31Y for 4.5 hour trip along a twisting mountain road in the process of being sealed. Should be no more than 3.5 hours when sealed. Great journey just for the views.

Not far away is the famous Chenyang (covered) Bridge. At Sanjiang you should cross the river and turn right where you will find grey minibuses (12 seater) who charge about 7Y..there is also a bus. Do not pay to cross the bridge but cross the river a few hundred metres back - I was told the locals built the bridge but don't get the revnue. You can cross back for free....spend the money on 'souveniers' instead. There are several budget accommodation places there. Some serious hiking in this area if you are keen.
Post a Reply to: My travel plans in China- comments welcome...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code