Menu
Is chinese med. insurance compulsary? And who pays?
Jan 11, 2008 01:32
guest30246 I have been here for nine years and it seems every year, there are more and more policies coming out that I just can not keep up with them. My question is that my college has told me that I must have insurance now and there was no choice. They said they would pay half and I would pay half but when I saw my paycheck this month, they took out all of it from me. I am going to fight it but I am wondering , is it compulsary? I have been lied to before so I am wondering. Also, who pays by law? Also, how much am I looking at paying? Thanks

Rachel
Jan 11, 2008 08:17
  • JABAROOTOO
They probably should be paying for it all. Mine does and it has never been as issue but I'm not working for a regular Chinese Institution.

Good luck.

I don;t know that it is compulsory either!!
Jan 12, 2008 03:46
  • GURTY
The chinese med. insurance are ompulsary in the cities and towns, except in the countryside. According to the law, the enterprises you work for and you yourself should pay for it together. The amount of your insurance are only 2% of your salary.The college should pay extra money, and the amount should be equal to about 6% of your salary. So you can have 98% salary.It's absolutely impossible that you should pay half of your salary as insurance.
Jan 12, 2008 19:38
GUEST54191 Sorry, I reread what I typed and did not mean that they took all my salary, they took all the insurance from my salary. The insurance was a total of 900 yuan. So, it is compulsary, how do you know this, by word of mouth of you have read the law? Also , where could I find this about me only paying a part of it? The reason is if I want to fight this, I have to have proof. I have been with this school for years and know how they react. The foriegn liason officier will try and cheat me out of money any time he can so I have to be able to prove my stance.
Rachel
Jan 12, 2008 21:14
  • APAULT
It seems it is compulsorary, but most foreign teachers do not seem to be covered. Nor are many workers though I believe they should be.

I believe it is a cost on the employer as Jabaroo says, but as the labour laws are all so blatantly ignored that doesn't mean much.

From a western perspective, you negotiate a contract and provided everything is declared it really an issue who pays. It is whether you choose to accept the conreact package or not. In your case, it was discovered after the agreement was made and if it is compulsorary, the employer should pay, but you agreed to go 50/50 - so be it!. My experience (and you have been here longer than me), is that internal communications are not always perfect (!) and if you follow it up it should be corrected. If it isnt, you make sure you get your own back...there are mnany more jobs than foreign teachers! (more on this last point in a new thread sometime in the future).
Jan 13, 2008 01:25
GUEST54191 well, this point was never provided in the contract nor was talked about previously because I was on maternity leave at the time. When I came back to work, I was told that insurance was mandatory now and that it was provided by law I pay half and they pay half. I did not follow it up completely, should have, and just told them to take it out of a future payment since I don't get paid during maternity leave. I did make sure that they were paying xxx amount and I was paying xxx amount. Of course, then I find out just when the semester is ending and no one is in the office. But I am using this time to find out more about it and then hit them with it next semester. As for the contract, I never got to renegotiate since the last one because they had to do it in March, a lot earlier then I usually sign. I do plan on trying to get it put in the contract for the next year becuase if I can get my green card by then, there will be a lot of changes or I will be finding another job> At this time, I don't have a green card and in this city, only three schools can legally have a foreigner. They know this so they also know I can't do much at this time but once I have a green card, I will be more formidable. But I have to find out what the legal matters of it is so I can use that as a stand poiint becuase they will try and cheat me but if I find the legal background, they will then find out what they can do and follow it. Thanks for helping
Rachel
Post a Reply to: Is chinese med. insurance compulsary? And who pays?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code