Menu
Advice for riding Chinese trains?
Jan 11, 2008 15:05
  • JOYFULDUCKY
Does anyone have any advice for riding the trains in China?

Any survival tips for the Hard Sleepers?

Thanks!
Jan 11, 2008 22:14
  • BETWEENUS21
ok for hard sleepers there are basically 3 berths in a row - and usually the lower berth is used by even other pax for sitting during the day - so its best if one takes the upper berth sleeper as then no one would be using yr "berth".
Generally during weekdays, its not too bad and as each berth is numbered - its ok. Also do not leave valuables like passport etc in yr bags on the sleeper - take valuables with u whenever u go on board the train.
Jan 12, 2008 01:09
  • GURTY
When you take on the train from the carriage gateway, the conductor will take away Ur ticket and give you a card with your berth infomation(the same as printed on your ticket) on. Sorry , can't remember whether there are English versions on it. Here are some Tips about the berth info. If you have a card read "上" , it means the upper berth, if "中", the middle one. If "下", it means you should take the lower berth. You may ask the conductor for help to find your berth. When it is time for you to get off, the conductor will come to inform you in advance, return your tickets and take the card away at that time.

Never put your packages on the berth end next to the corridor when you sleep.

Never put your precious articles on a small table along the corridor when you are away.

You may have a tea cup with you. There are thermos under the table next to the window in each smaller room consisting six berthes. You may use it to fetch hot water in the end of some carriage.

Wish you a good trip.

Jan 12, 2008 02:08
  • JABAROOTOO
Train travel in China is not a hardship these days if you choose your times and destinations especially during weekdays and avoid popular routes on weekends. food can be purchased on the train at when they stop during daylight hours goods are also sold from the platforms but it is a good idea to take something with you.

People are generally very helpful and will help you locate your correct birth and look after you and your non-valuables, even sharing their food with you. If you are travelling long distances then have something to read and I usually carry a pack of cards to use with any kids that may be interested. I teach them UNO they pick it up quickly and it helps to pass the time.
Jan 12, 2008 10:37
  • APAULT
The main point is that hard sleepers (and hard seats) are not hard! And unlike European sleepers, they do not fold away, so in theory, the bunk is yr spot...for 36 hours even. As others said, you may end up sharing a bottom bunk with others during the day. But don't bank on being invited to share with others - usually you are welcome but sometimes a family spans two sets of 6 bunks and make your their home base. The top one is truly for the energetic and does not give much of a view out of the window. However, if you are on one of the few non-aircon ones you are close to the ceiling fan.

If you are willing to eat the train food, gooonya mate, but personally I'd ratehr go without. Most people eat instant noodles and there is always hot water to prepare them with. I can easily go without food on such a trip, the hardest part is convincing fellow travellers that you really don't need anything! If you can work outthe major stops, you can also get off and buy food and even a cold beer sometimes :)

UNO, brilliant idea Jabs! You will also have to expect amazement after they find you cannot speak Chinese, that you cannot read Chinese either! Everyone they have ever met before regardless of their Chinese dialect, reads and writes it so how come you can't??

The toilets are usually cleaned regularly but you do have to queue at times. Learning the rock-a-squat balance takes a little practice, and DO make sure you have no loose items in your pockets or they may disappear forever! DO NOT hang your bum bag on a hook in the cubicle as you may forget it (I know this!)
The t
Jan 14, 2008 00:24
  • JOYFULDUCKY
Thanks so much to everyone for the tips!

UNO is brilliant....now if only I could remember how to play it!
Post a Reply to: Advice for riding Chinese trains?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code