Menu
How to make a good impression?
Jan 11, 2008 19:57
  • TIGERPAUL
In 3 weeks I am going back to Taiwan for the second time. This time I will be meeting and spending some time with my girlfriends family and friends. I want to make a good impression so can anyone advise me on any Do's and Dont's.

I have been thinking about;

Gifts maybe for her parents, where to take my girlfriend Valentines Day, public displays of affection, attempting to try a little mandarin, table manners.

Maybe I am worrying too much, but I just dont want to mess up!
Jan 12, 2008 01:36
  • GURTY
Don't worry, Tigerpaul. Here comes my understanding of Chinese table manners.

Don't sit down at table before all family members, especially the senior seat themselves. You may help to lay the table, deliver the dishes and chopsticks.

After everyone sits down, you should never to be the first person to eat. Wait until the senior begin dining.

Wish it helps.

Jan 12, 2008 02:14
  • JABAROOTOO
However you may be considered the special guest and required to take the most prominent seat at the table and then you are required to take the first bit from every dish that arrives at the table.

Otherwise ask you GF to fill you in as you go, after all she will be wanting you to make not only a good impression but to be able to fit into her family life and feel comfortable.

By all means bring them gifts and give them using both hands. Something from your county would be nice perhaps something practical but again ask your GF for some ideas as she has the best idea of would would be suitable for her relatives and then you can choose from some ideas she has proffered.
Jan 12, 2008 06:30
  • TIGERPAUL
Thanks! I will bear all this in mind when I go soon. Not long now, can't wait!

Jan 16, 2008 09:47
  • APAULT
Smile and go with the flow and you won't have any great problem! The Chinese realise you don't know their customs and are every tolerant. Of course, presents are a good idea, and my understanding is that they are not opened until later. Public displays of affection are becoming more common and they everyone knows it is common in the west, so yes it is OK, but keep it at first base. As Jabaroo says, the GF will tell you what's what.... for the rest of your life !
Post a Reply to: How to make a good impression?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code