Menu
Men must have a dress shirt
Jan 15, 2008 01:29
  • SUMMERSNOW
A popular but implicit belief among fashion designers: men have been marginalized in fashion industry. Does it make sense?Not at all. Men still need to be trimmed and be particular to their dress.

The British newspaper FT states that the casual dress shirt is a latest fashion oxymoron. From the Kaiser Chiefs to Bryan Ferry and Russell Brand, from catwalk collections by the likes of Kris van Assche to Bottega Veneta, Neil Barrett, Sonia Rykiel and DSquared, the dress shirt – sometimes even complete with wing collar or bib front – has migrated from formal attire to go-anywhere, wear-with-anything staple.

“And why not wear a tuxedo shirt with jeans?” I dare not imagine how funny it is. But the bold shirtmaker Ignatious Joseph, whose classic dress shirt, in crisp white with a pleated front, is destined not only for the red carpet but for clubs, bars and restaurants too. “The tuxedo shirt is sexy because it hints at another, glamorous world but it's wasted saving it for a formal event. The barriers between formal and informal dress are coming down. The dress shirt being worn casually is symptomatic of that. I've seen men wearing them with the cuffs open too, just hanging out of their jackets – it looks great.”

Usually, it is difficult for men to get any attention at red carpet events, but the casual dress shirt may be helpful to make men look as gorgeous as their partners in the red carpet events.
Jan 16, 2008 11:31
  • APAULT
If you want to have your life determined by others, if you want to give away your hard earned money, follow the latest fashions, for they are surely one large marketing manipulation.
Jan 24, 2008 19:10
  • SUNNYDREAM
"A popular but implicit belief among fashion designers: men have been marginalized in fashion industry. " Who marginalized men in fashion industry? The fashion designers? Lots of fashion designers are men. They marginalized themselves?
Feb 7, 2008 19:02
GUEST25384 A friend of mine is a fashion designer in LA. She had never gone shopping for men's clothing seriously until at one point she wanted her husband to have some interesting clothing so he could accompany her to events. She was shocked to find that every store she went to carried what was esentially the same cuts and styles. I pointed out to her later that it was in fact within her power to do something about that, as this was indeed her profession. Her response was, "No, it's too boring designing clothes for men." Marginalized indeed.
Feb 14, 2008 01:13
GUEST02245 as a male fashion designer in australia i am constantly challenged by my peers for designing strikingly different clothes for the modern western man - and the fact that i design mostly for men is almost unheard of in this industry.
the truth is that men are left with little choice when it comes to clothing - t shirt or collar, shorts or trousers, shoes or sandals. my aim is to broaden the acceptable range of mens fashion to include different garments such as tunics, shawls, wraps, sarongs and robes. who said that everything a man wears on his lower body has to have two leg holes? not me!! bring on fashion liberation for modern man!!!
Post a Reply to: Men must have a dress shirt
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code