Menu
Why are crickets so popular in China?
Jan 16, 2008 00:48
  • KATRINA
Have you ever fed cricket before? In ancient times, those rich men had nothing to do but to feed some crickets for fun. And singing or fighting competitions would be held for crickets. Those who won the game could get awards. Today, young Chinese guys seldom raise crickets for fun (though they raise doggies, cats or some other animals). However, crickets have become popular again in Beijing. I really can't understand why they raise crickets. They are idle and have nothing to do? It is said that an excellent cricket can cost thousands of dollars. Do you believe it?

To supplement: You can get detailed info by clicking this link: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-crickets13jan13,0,1170752.story?coll=la-home-world

Just have a look at this little poor thing.

Jan 16, 2008 11:36
  • APAULT
Ah, I'm disappointed, I thought I was going to read something about Australia's national sport !
Jan 16, 2008 18:55
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I thought it was about cricket, the sports, too.

I don’t remember anything about crickets but when I was a kid, I used to have June beetles as pets. I just love those shiny metallic green or brown wing covers! I would keep them in a jar with holes on the cover and feed them with sweet berries and leaves. I did it for fun and not for money (there’s no money to be made anyway -_-) but I kinda understand that fascination. There’s only a certain time of the year that you can get these insects so maybe the popularity has something to do with the season.
Jan 16, 2008 19:07
  • JIMMYB
It reminds me of cockfighting. It was popular in ancient times too. Usually, it had something to do with gambling. In today's world, some guys still gamble on cockfighting. Some even raise dogs just for fighting. I remember that I used tadpoles to do 'experiments' when I was young. We used injector to inject water in tadpoles' bodies. Finally, they all died. How cruel I was!
Jan 17, 2008 09:51
  • CARLOS
There are no limits when people try to amuse themselves. Crickets will do for it as well as anything else.

Cricket (sport) has one similarity with Finnish national sport, which is some kind of baseball. Them both are boooooooooring!!!

Carlos
Jan 17, 2008 19:52
  • JIMMYB
Quote: There are no limits when people try to amuse themselves.

Yes, Carlos. Now I regret amusing myself by killing tadpoles.

"Cricket (sport) has one similarity with Finnish national sport, which is some kind of baseball. Them both are boooooooooring!!!"

Some kind of baseball? Can you say more about it? I want to get to know it. BTW, except so called baseball, what any other sports do you join in?
Jan 20, 2008 08:55
  • CARLOS
Oh, Jimmy, I think my language skills are not enough to describe finnish national sport. Compared to baseball, it is quite alike. Biggest difference, I think, is that pitcher throws ball up, and hitter hits down coming ball.

About other sports, I think all possible sports are landed here.

Carlos
Jan 20, 2008 19:58
  • JIMMYB
Quote: Oh, Jimmy, I think my language skills are not enough to describe finnish national sport.

Carlos, you can show me some photos with concise explanations. Then I can see what they wear and how they play it.
Jan 21, 2008 11:40
  • CARLOS
Ok, Jimmy, I´ll try although I can´t find proper names to players. Unfortunately I did not find photos where whole game can be seen, but it really is very much like baseball.

This is quite far from the thread, but maybe I won´t start new thread for this.

There are 9 players in field same time from both teams. Other team plays in and other out just like in baseball. They play 8 times in and out.
In the field there are homebase and three bases out.
The pincher (hope I use right word here) throws ball straight up and when it comes down it is hit. Player who hits then run from base to base and when player comes to home base (before ball, of course) team gets a point.
Jan 21, 2008 11:42
  • CARLOS
Coach: Ok, guys, this way we play this ball

Jan 21, 2008 11:49
  • CARLOS
Perfect hit. Man with yellow shirt is pitcher. next to their feet is a pinching plate. If there is no hit, the ball should drop to plate. If it misses it, the "hitman" gets free run to 1-base.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why are crickets so popular in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code