Menu
So many guidebooks...so little time
Jan 17, 2008 13:36
  • JOYFULDUCKY
Hi!

Does anyone have a favorite guidebook for travel in China. I've seen ones for Lonely Planet, Let's Go, Fodors, Fromners, the Rough Guide...the list seems endless!

I have 2 days to buy one before I leave!

I'm going mainly to Beijing, Shanghai, and Xi'an, so carrying a guide for the entire country seems like a bit much.

I already have accomodation, so I'm looking for something with more information about history and not to be missed sites, and trips for budget travelling, rather than 5 star hotels

Is it hard to find maps/tourist info in English when you are in China, if I didn't take a guide?

Cheers!
Jan 17, 2008 15:29
  • JOHNFONTANA
There are guides in English on the internet everywhere, like this site, Lonely Planet, etc.

All most all decent hotels in China have internet access now. But still a good idea to keep a guide book. If it's still too heavy, just tear off those pages not related to your places, and tear off more as you go further.
Jan 17, 2008 18:59
  • APAULT
Lonely Planet is by far the most favoured by travellers here, but it is so heavy! Be careful at customs as it is a banned book (I think it implies Taiwan is not part of China).
Jan 17, 2008 20:20
  • LEMONCACTUS
Apault, is that so ?? I had no idea.

Mine is the old Lonely Planet, and hopelessly out of date, but I always use it as a starting point for a trip to get an overall feel for a place and options. The fact is there's so much in China that a guidebook has no chance of covering it all. You really need a book for each province.

Still, if you want the "main" sights and attractions and a few off-the-beaten-track goodies, LP is great.

I use websites now, and Chinese tourist maps, to find places that English guide books don't cover.

Have a great trip :)
Jan 18, 2008 00:09
  • GRIZ326
I have 4 or 5 guides. I like Lonely Planet best, but the Rough Guide is interesting too. Good luck.
Jan 18, 2008 00:59
  • FYM0321
Hello,I think you can buy an english guide when you're in Beijing.It much better than the book published by foreigner.
by the way ,Do never say taiwan is not part of China
Feb 24, 2008 00:50
  • ELLYSE
My personal preference: Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Frommer's.
Feb 24, 2008 01:43
  • BARONTWANGLE
I my experience, if you have any of the major guidebooks, you just end up in the same place as everyone else. If the lonely planet recommends a cafe or hotel, it is usually the kiss of death, as it gets over run by back packers. To get under the skin of any place, and experience its real identity and culture, you need to distance yourself from the masses. The first step in achieving this is to avoid the big guide books.

That is my experience.
Post a Reply to: So many guidebooks...so little time
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code