Menu
How much is integrity worth?
Jan 18, 2008 02:23
  • KEVIN0518
A pieces of news reveals that an old man has spent about 53 years to find his 'creditor' to give back 5 yuan. Unluckily, the guy he has been looking for 53 years died in 1965. Finally, he finds his the son and gave back 500 yuan. Some people may say that this old man is silly.What do you think of this guy?

At present, it is usual to see that some guys borrow money from their friends and disappear or refuse to rerurn the money. For this reason, we usually require a due bill if someone borrow money from us. It seems that trustworthiness has been gradually disappearing. Why? Can't we learn from that old man? Keeping promises is the basic rule. If you don't keep it, your friends will be fewer and fewer. Finally, no one wants to make friends with you.

BTW, here is a question for you: How much is integrity worth? To some guys, integrity is worth nothing because they don't keep their promise. But what about you?

The old man in the photo is the man reported in the news. Do you notice a small black-and-white photo? It was shooted more than 50 years ago. That guy is the old man.

Jan 18, 2008 09:40
  • GRIZ326
He is a shining example of personal integrity.

When in Nanning in 1978, I was walking down the big road that runs to the river and past the #1 Department Store. Earlier in the day I was walking much further away from the river. As a approched the river, a young boy ran up to me, stopped me and gave me 3 or 4 fen. Because the boy was in a little shop that I visited, I figured that I must have given too much money and the shop owner sent the boy to return it. I still have those coins for good luck :-)
Jan 18, 2008 10:10
  • AL32
I think and I try my best to have integrity.
I always try to pay all my debts..and even more.
It's only memory that I lose sometimes...blame it on time!!!
And I'd never mind a friend coming to me to collect his/her due.

Nice story Griz. But I would have dropped one coin in the river, gave one to the boy and kept only the last for luck...But that's just me!! hehe! ;-)
Jan 18, 2008 12:29
  • GRIZ326
I have my spring festival trip on my mind...

I was not in Nanning in 1978...I was in Shanghai!
Jan 18, 2008 20:08
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Why would they think that the man is silly for paying back his debt? He just did what he had to do.

You cannot put a price on integrity. Word of honor is very important, at least to some people.

A lot of people borrow money and then just file bankruptcy so they don’t have to pay them back.

Whew! Luckily I don’t owe any money from my family or friends. O_o
Jan 19, 2008 03:01
  • CHERYL
I should say integrity is invaluable.
Jan 20, 2008 20:25
  • JIMMYB
Agree with you all! Integrity is invaluable. But some people lose their integrity for doing something bad.
Paying back your debt is what you should do. If you don't keep your promise, how do others trust you?

Quote: "Why would they think that the man is silly for paying back his debt?" Perhaps they think that 5 yuan is just a small amount. On the other hand, people have heard of many negative news on this. At present, cheating cases are everywhere. I am quite disappointed by it.
Post a Reply to: How much is integrity worth?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code