Menu
How should teachers dress?
Jan 20, 2008 08:27
guest23369 Hi,
I will be a volunteer English tutor for a few weeks in a school in Xi'an this March. I am trying to prepare, but I have not been able to find information about what kinds of clothes I will need. I've seen pictures of teachers in jeans online. Is that common? Or should I bring more "business casual" clothing? Are hiking shoes acceptable, or are nicer shoes more appropriate? I'm trying to take as little as possible so I can travel with just a backpack. Any advice would be great!
Thanks
Jan 22, 2008 20:53
  • JIMMYB
Hi, GUEST23369. When I was in high school, my teachers wore a little bit formally. Male teachers usually wore jackets and trousers (not jeans). In summer, they wore shrits and trousers. Also they had suits given by the school authorities but they seldom wore it. However, my college teachers are different. They wore casually. Jeans and beautiful shirts were everywhere. Especially, female teachers wore beautifully. Well, they seldom wore suits.

Personally, I prefer to those who wear casually and lively. If you are not sure what to wear, just consult with the school authorities.
Jan 22, 2008 22:04
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi

I've been a teacher in China for over 2 years. I've only worked at universities, but agree with JimmyB.

There is no "dress code" per se. I always dress informally, and yes, that does mean jeans. Many foreign and Chinese teachers are the same.

Of course, I've seen male and female teachers wearing suits too. I think it depends a lot on an individual's personality. If you would feel more comfortable wearing a suit, or more formal clothes then that's fine.... if not, then don't worry about beng casual, that's OK too.

Hope you enjoy your experience here :)
Jan 22, 2008 23:03
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I agree with Lemoncactus, dress your personality. From preschool to my college days here in the states, you could always tell if a teacher was going to be easygoing or very tough and strict.
Jan 23, 2008 11:40
GUEST84013 Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info! (I'm the person who started this thread, but I don't know if my guest username will change.) It is great to know that I don't need to pack any skirts or suits. This site is a great resource. I've found several discussions that have given me some ideas of what to expect. I'll be sure to join in some more when I get there.

Thanks!
Jen
Jan 23, 2008 15:00
  • APAULT
Each institution may vary a little. My current college complained about my male colleague having a very open shirt, exposing a hairy chest. Shorts are definitely not approved of. Some females have been asked not to have exposed midriffs and as we have discussed in the past, exposed cleavages are not appropriate (yet!). There is generally a lack of enthusiasm for piercings, too. Personally I would never teach in jeans and I think some places would object to jeans.

I would suggest bringinging minimal clothes and shoes and buy more here as you will find prices so low by comparison with your home country.
Jan 24, 2008 20:05
  • JIMMYB
Well, Paul. I can fully understand why the school authorities have such requirements for their teachers. All teachers should be models of virtues for others. In Chinese, it means '为人师表'. As a teacher, you should remeber this. Your actions and dresses will have influence on the students.
Jan 25, 2008 06:09
  • JABAROOTOO
Couldn't agree with you more Jimmy.
Is teaching Profession or a hobby?

Of course you should dress to suit your personal style and as a teacher one should always present a professional image in a inspiring and nurturing environment maintaining a standard that students will respect.

It will still be cold so just keeping warm often hampers your best efforts to look smart.

Enjoy your stint. Give us some feedback

Jan 25, 2008 09:30
  • LIONPOWER
I feel teacher dress depends on the subject, fashion designers dress not like religious teachers.
Jan 26, 2008 14:23
  • GRIZ326
I like the translation for this saying 为人师表: be worthy of the name of teacher. It pretty much says it all.
Post a Reply to: How should teachers dress?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code