Menu
The nation with most death toll wins?
Jan 21, 2008 03:00

Dear guys,

I have two lines that are spoken by someone. I don't know who said the words. Can anyone help to explain the two lines?

“War is nothing but the continuation of policy with other means.”

"In the aftermath of nuclear war the living would envy the dead. Hence the nation with the most death toll wins."

For the first line, I know what it means: if a country's policy can not be carried out smoothly, it might resolve to war to settle the problem.

The second line confused me a great deal. Why does the nation with most death toll win? Does anybody know who said the words?How do you understand the two lines?
Jan 21, 2008 10:49
  • GRIZ326
I have heard both of those things before, but do not know who first made the assertions.

>>>In the aftermath of nuclear war the living would envy the dead. Hence the nation with the most death toll wins.

This is simply suggesting that a nuclear war would be so terrible that survival would be the real hell. It is like the terminally ill, there is a period before they die that they wish for the end to come quickly.
Jan 21, 2008 12:52
  • MARRIE
I cannot explain it better than you, Griz.

I believe war is the alternative of no wayout - phenomnon of human ruins themselves.

Jan 21, 2008 19:23
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"In the aftermath of nuclear war the living would envy the dead. Hence the nation with the most death toll wins."

I think this was attributed to Nikita Khrushchev.

Because the survivors of the nuclear war will keep on suffering from the effects of the radiation, they will envy the dead who didn’t have to suffer anymore. Because animals, plants, (well, scratch that because animals and plants are either dead or contaminated, too) land (nothing will grow), water and air will be contaminated, there won’t be any food. Hence, the nation with the most death tolls suffers less, therefore the “winner”. Yea, that is the meaning of winner in a nuclear war. Some ‘experts’ are saying that 4 to 5 billion people will die within the first year. After that, would we still have the time to think what it was that we were fighting about? And what is the prize for the “winner”? Bottomline: Dead or living dead, nobody will be a winner.

War is really a ‘fun’ topic. It reminds me of things I do not want to know but I already know but pretend I do not know and I wish I do not really know what I think I know. O_o

We’re all probably wishing it’s not going to happen, but we are not the ones who have control over the buttons. Meanwhile, we are all so busy trying to live our lives in whatever way we perceive it. On the second thought, maybe all 6 billion plus of us do “control” the buttons, we just didn’t know.

*sigh*

I better finish digging my trench.
Jan 22, 2008 21:58
  • SUMMERSNOW

u
Jan 22, 2008 22:08
  • SUMMERSNOW

Just take the effect of the atomic blast in Nagasaki and Hiroshima for example, the living suffered more than the death. The nuclear radiation make them suffer a great deal. Women who suffered from the radiation gave birth to malformed babies. Many people got the radiation sickness.
Post a Reply to: The nation with most death toll wins?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code