Menu
Marrying my Chinese Fiance. What happens next
Jan 21, 2008 06:53
  • DING2GO
Hi
I will marry my Chinese fiance in two days. We have known each other for over two years and have been together for more that one year, so we are not a quick " we've never met" type couple. I will continue to work and live in China for at least the next 3 years, so no hurray about visas etc yet. (I am Australian).
My question is, once my fiance becomes my wife, is it any easier for her to travel than the complicated system now? Does she still have to go back to Hainan (her home) to get a visa if, for instance we want to go to Hong Kong on holiday? Does the fact that she has an Australian husband, make anything easier for her? Will I get registered on her family Hukou book? I realise I still have to go through any foreign Country's requirements for her to travel to another Country, but more interested in her China status, and if it gets any easier because we are married.
Thanks
Dean
Jan 21, 2008 10:23
  • GRIZ326
I do not know the answers to your questions, but good luck to you.
Jan 22, 2008 03:00
  • STEVEANDCUI
DINGTOGO,

I can help you out on one question but unfortunately that is about it. Me and my Chinese girlfreind went to Hong Kong not long ago and no visa was required. I too am in a similar boat to you and will be making sure to check up on this post frequently.

Cheers Mate,
SR.
Jan 22, 2008 03:05
  • STEVEANDCUI
PS.

Went to Indonesia too, no problems, got a visa on arrival. It's the develped countries like Australia where it's a pain to get visas. Trying to get a tourist visa for Australia for my girlfreind at the moment, if i was to do it again i would go through an agent, it's been a pain in the ass.

Cheers,
SR
Jan 22, 2008 07:35
  • PAULK
dean, if your fiance (wife) takes up citizenship in another country, she will have to surrender her chinese passport as the chinese government do not recognise dual citizenship, im english and my wife has the same dilemma as oon as she gets her british passport, she will need a visa (same as i do) when we visit her family in china. good luck and dont forget to learn some mandarin.
paul and chun qi
Jan 22, 2008 10:12
  • DING2GO
谢谢你们 我懂一点点中文
我的老婆是海南人
Hainan people need special permission to go to Hong Kong, so I guess I will just have to put up with the inconvenience. Its probably no big deal, but just a pain and expensive to fly her back to Hainan from Yangzhou every time she wants to go somehere. I guess it gives her some opportunities to see her family so that makes me happy. Thanks for your comments.
Regards

Dean
Post a Reply to: Marrying my Chinese Fiance. What happens next
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code