Menu
The rich and the poor live together, possible or not?
Jan 21, 2008 21:47
  • KEVIN0518
What do you think of this idea, to let the rich and the poor live together in the same community?When developing a piece of land to build commercial houses, those developers should think about building luxurious houses for the rich and economic houses for the poor together. This is what an Chinese official says. In this way, both the rich and the poor can enjoy the good education, service and business resources around their community. After a second thought, you will find that the poor can't enjoy those good resources. Why? They can't afford it.

How about letting the rich and the poor live in different places? Good idea? Of course not. In this way, the rich will be richer and richer and the poor will be poorer and poorer. To solve this problem thoroughly, the government should find effective ways to eliminate the gap between the rich and the poor.
Jan 21, 2008 23:37
  • JCNILE123
Why the rich must be obligate to support the poor?

Poor people must work hard, to accomplish a better living.

Therefore, they can move up.
Jan 22, 2008 01:35
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I agree with JCNILE, the rich should not have to support the poor.

In California, almost every government county is requiring that housing developers integrate housing from all the three price groups (250,000 550,000 and 1,000,000) so that those that come from low income families will be able to send there kids to schools that benefit from the high property tax that fund these schools. That is a great idea yet that is not fair that those who are paying property taxes on 550,000+ dollar homes to have other families paying considerably less for the same thing. That is the subject of great debate in any affluent community in Silicon Valley where schools are redrawing neighborhood boundaries to exclude communities that lye on the other side of the railroad tracks.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for the betterment of peoples lives yet I don’t agree that that’s the best way to reduce the gap between the rich and poor.
Jan 22, 2008 05:12
  • DODGER
Government intervention has always failed when they try to close the gap between the rich and the poor.
I am happy to be proved wrong on this.
Education and equal opportunity are the only ways that I would agree with.
Some are born with advantages: a faster runner, a better scholar and perhaps better parents. Would we handicap these people so the less of in terms of natural talent can win?
It reminds me of an old song; “it the same the whole world over, it the poor what gets the blame: it the rich what gets the pleasure, aint it all a crying shame”
Dodger.
Jan 22, 2008 20:29
  • JIMMYB
Quote:"In this way, both the rich and the poor can enjoy the good education, service and business resources around their community.After a second thought, you will find that the poor can't enjoy those good resources. Why? They can't afford it."

Agree! To live together with the rich is a toture for the poor. How can they make sure that both the rich and the poor eojoy the resources together? The rich send their children to private schools. How about the poor? They also want to send their children to private schools but they are poor. Of course, the poor shouldn't take it for granted. As JC said, they need work harder to accomplish a better living.
Jan 25, 2008 19:41
  • APAULT
we should create a society which minimises the difference between rich and poor. The widening gap between rich and poor in China is very disappointing considering China's recent history. The rich are rich because of the hard work of the ordinary workers, there is no reason why the suppliers of capital should be rewarded so much more than the suppliers of labour. The rich should be made to contribute more to society to give the poor more opportunities. It is well proven that if you are a child from a poor family or a poorly educated family, that your chances of a good education and success in life are greatly reduced. The rich are a self perpetuating elite.
Feb 5, 2008 02:34
  • JIMMYB
Quote:" It is well proven that if you are a child from a poor family or a poorly educated family, that your chances of a good education and success in life are greatly reduced. The rich are a self perpetuating elite. "

Exactly, Paul. They don't have many chances like those rich children. But those poor children are more capable and independent than those rich children. They know how to live, not like those rich guys who just depend on their parents. The children from poor families have strong self-esteem. Sometimes, it might make them hurt a lot.
Jun 29, 2011 10:36
GUESTZAMA i agree too
Post a Reply to: The rich and the poor live together, possible or not?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code