Menu
TRAVELLING TO CHINA DURING 1st WEEK OF FEB
Jan 21, 2008 23:18
  • JANOO
Hello All;

Anyone can tell me if there will be a problem visiting china ( Beijing, Shanghai, Yiwu, Xi'an and Gangzhou ) for business trip during 1st week or 2nd week of Feb due to their new year celebration. Are all the markets will be open during this time ( whole sale markets in Gangzhou and Yiwu ).

Also I need a suggestion on how should I carry money with me. Are canadian traveller cheques are good ? are any other best way. Please advise.
Jan 21, 2008 23:35
  • JINGJING
hey ,my friend,

i have been to beijing last october.it's a wonderful place to travel. Now i work and live in Shenzhen ,guangdong province.Feb is a crowed month,similar like the christmas in western country,peopel will buy lots of thing for the spring festival ,and everywhere is lousy .it's hard to say whether it's good or not.on one hand u can have a full experience of chinese traditional holiday.one the other hand ,it's not convient at that time .
for the money ,traveller's check is not common used as i know.i have some freinds,they all change the dollar into RMB cash in foreign money change site.hehe.......anyhow,u can come and have unique experience.don't think too much.all problems have a way to solve it.haha...
Jan 22, 2008 09:30
  • JABAROOTOO
You probably have no choice about the time you are travelling. Just be warned that things are more expensive and it is harder to get tickets for trains and buses. Flights should be easier but buy as early as you can.

I don't think anything ever really closed down in China. It's just busier

Jan 22, 2008 10:13
  • APAULT
Definitely not the time to choose. Travel is much harder. Wholesale markets will not close completely, they never do, but I wouldn't expect normal trading New Years Day.

Travellers cheques can be changed in banks and main hotels but are not much used elsewhere. Most travellers these days rely on some foreign currency and a couple of credit/debit cards for hotels and to obtain cash. Sure you pay a fee for withdrawls but in the context of a business trip that should not be a real concern.
Jan 22, 2008 20:28
  • JANOO
Thanks so very much to all who responded for the invaluable suggestions. LINGY do you know when these 8 days of holidays starting so I can plan my trip little better. Thanks.

Feb 24, 2008 00:53
  • ELLYSE
Closed at least 6-14/2.
Post a Reply to: TRAVELLING TO CHINA DURING 1st WEEK OF FEB
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code