Menu
"Red envelop" and "Kowtow" in Spring Festival
Jan 28, 2008 19:11
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"SHESGOTTOBE, you give your friends a hug. I don't know if there is a custom in USA that people kiss each other when they met. Sometimes, does a gentleman kiss a lady on her hand or on her cheek?"

Although I felt that they were pretty shook up, I don’t think they minded it because they initiated it the next time. It’s just recently that I learned that the Chinese are not touchy-feely. ^_^

I haven’t seen anyone kissing a hand here but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. It’s probably a very private matter between married and engaged couples. I think it is more of a European custom than American where they are bestowed on the royalties and religious figures. It was practiced in America in the early years because of the Victorian influence.

Yea, many Americans at my workplace usually give a light kiss on the cheeks (sometimes cheek to cheek) of their relatives or close friends when they see each other. This is especially true on gatherings during the holidays. It doesn’t matter whether they are male or female. There is no malice about it. Take note that it’s a sign of closeness, so you won’t usually see people who meet the first time will kiss. For close co-workers and people we do business with, it’s usually a hug. Handshakes are for very formal functions such as in our meetings and conferences.
Jan 31, 2008 22:04
  • SUNNYDREAM
Thanks, SHESGOTTOBE. It is very interesting to learn about the ways people greet each other. Arabians greet each other through a tight hug. Sometimes, other nationals will feel very embarassed when they encounter Arabians for the first time.
Feb 6, 2008 01:36
  • HHW114
Kneeling down is not auspicious in festivals and kowtow has long died out as a custom when u just wanna express ur gratitude.
I only kowtow in a funeral to the dead person.
Feb 11, 2008 00:42
  • LEONARDO

>>Kneeling down is not auspicious in festivals and kowtow has long died out as a custom when u just wanna express ur gratitude.
I only kowtow in a funeral to the dead person.<<

HHW114, kneeling down is neither auspicious nor inauspicious. It is only an old custom of expressing respect. Yes, it has died out before 1949, but in some rurual areas the old custom is still retained. Right, it is quite common to see that people perform Kowtow in a funeral than on any other occasions.
Mar 29, 2008 06:52
  • IBAUSSIE
I was there for chinese new year 7th feb 2008.What and awesome time to be in China and experience the culture. I had read about the giving of red envelopes to children and friends.Each envelope containing money of varying amounts. The special envelopes were on sale everywhere and every womans purse or mans pocket contained a pack ,ready to be deployed.Myself included.

On the appropriate day,whenever one met friends,or family a flurry of red envelopes would take place.Not one time during the whole day did i see anyone" kowtow "to another. Children to their parents accepted the envelope with both hands and a bow .
It was such a wonderful custom to be part of. I bowed,as a sign of respect,while recieving my envelopes with both hands from my Chinese mother and father.I noticed the reciever bowed or lowered the head as a sign of respect on all occasions. I thought it was only for the older ones or elders to give to the younger ones,but was advised to give to envelopes to those older than oneself as well. Hence mother and father were given envelopes by me as well as other members of the family.

It is such a wonderful thing,the giving.Chinese feasts are popular at this time of year and when envelopes were given,people excused them selves,to use the toilet or some other excuse,only to return and give envelopes to the previos giver.Awesome.
Still no" kowtow."
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: "Red envelop" and "Kowtow" in Spring Festival
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code