Menu
China faces power blackout!
Jan 23, 2008 01:46
  • KATRINA
The news says that many parts of China faces power blackout because the coal reserve is close to the warning level. The warning level is 14 million tons. About 2 million tons of coal is used to generate electricity everyday but the coal reserve is less than 17.73 million tons that can only last about 7 days.

Many coal mines in Shanxi have stopped to produce coal to improve safety after the fatal accidents so that the coal supply is in shortage. The snow and storm have also stopped coal transportation and caused great damage to power facilities.

To cope with it, 13 provinces have taken measures to limit electricity supply, such as Hubei, Sichuan, Chongqing and Shaanxi.
Jan 23, 2008 19:18
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I would like to think that they already have a plan after the coal reserves run out. Maybe another source? I don’t think they are going to let a large chunk of population be without electricity for a long time, right?
Jan 23, 2008 21:20
  • KATRINA
SHESGOTTOBE, it is not impossible to find another resource in short time because most of the power plants needs coal to generate electricity.
Jan 23, 2008 22:08
  • LEONARDO
Energy shortage will pose a serious problem to China's economic development. Hopefully, the completion of Three Gorges Project will ease the problem of electricity shortage.
Jan 23, 2008 23:08
  • JCNILE123
It is something that must be faced; sooner than later,

The survival of human kind hangs on the thread of good political relations today going in to the tomorrows unknown.

Jan 25, 2008 19:49
  • APAULT
Not only is there a problem with increasing the local supply quickly, but Australian coal mines are producing it faster than it can be shipped to China. China's rapid growth has been so fast that there are insufficient port facilities in Australia.

Both are symptoms of why China must slow its growth. Hopefully, it might also stimulate the government into fast-tracking development of more environmentally friendly energy.
Jan 27, 2008 11:43
  • GRIZ326
Environmentalists killed nuclear power...only to realize that burning coal has even more severe environmental impact.
Jan 27, 2008 20:51
  • JCNILE123
I hope this strong winter in China ends soon.
My girl friend is from Hunan Province, she told me that the city has come to a halt period.
No winter has hit the Province so hard with in the last 50 years.
The Army has gone to the surrounding villages, some times walking to deliver food to the people in need.
Post a Reply to: China faces power blackout!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code