Menu
Would you want to be a space tourist? !!!
Jan 23, 2008 16:16
  • GRIZ326
Would you want to fly into space? You might be able to do it soon.

If you can get this link to open, the story is pretty good mind candy:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324967,00.html

If not, the story is below.

Virgin Galactic Tourist Spaceship Design Unveiled in New York

Future thrill-seekers will ride a sleek spacecraft berthed under a massive, twin-boom mothership to the fringe of space in a design unveiled Wednesday by Virgin Galactic.

The SpaceShipTwo spacecraft and its WhiteKnightTwo carrier will begin initial tests this summer to shakedown the novel spaceflight system designed by aerospace pioneer Burt Rutan and his firm Scaled Composites.

"Two thousand and eight really will be the year of the spaceship," British entrepreneur Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, said as he unveiled a 1/16th-scale model of the new spacecraft at the American Museum of Natural History. "We're truly excited about our new system and what our new system will be able to do."

Based on Rutan's SpaceShipOne, a piloted and reusable spacecraft that won the $10 million Ansari X Prize for suborbital spaceflight in 2004, SpaceShipTwo is an air-launched vehicle designed to carry six passengers and two pilots to suborbital space and back.

But unlike SpaceShipOne, which launched from beneath its single-cabin WhiteKnight carrier, the new craft will drop from a twin-cabin high-altitude jet that can double as a space-tourist training craft.

Flights will last about two hours, with 4.5 minutes of weightlessness when the 60-foot SpaceShipTwo reaches an altitude of about 68 miles.

WhiteKnightTwo carries four engines and a wingspan of about 140 feet (42 meters), rivaling a B-29 bomber, and is built to handle unmanned rockets capable of launching small satellites into orbit, Virgin Galactic officials said.

Virgin Galactic is offering tickets aboard SpaceShipTwo spaceliners for an initial price of about $200,000, though Branson said the cost is expected to drop after the first five years of operations.

The space tourism firm plans to eventual launch flights out of a terminal at New Mexico's Spaceport America, with additional trips through the aurora borealis to be staged from Kiruna, Sweden.
Jan 23, 2008 16:39
GUEST09842 I would go this afternoon.
Jan 23, 2008 18:53
  • JIMMYB
$200,000? Too expensive and I can't afford it.
Jan 23, 2008 20:08
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I thought this has already started a year or two ago? I remember there was this news about this N'sync member wanting to be a space tourist. Anyway, if I have money to burn, why not? But then, I probably won't be satisfied. I think I'll just practice that out-of-body thingy. O_o
Jan 24, 2008 18:06
  • APAULT
Of course it would be interesting, but unless I would be meeting the locals, I think I prefer to stay on the ground.
Post a Reply to: Would you want to be a space tourist? !!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code