Menu
Will Federer claim the Grand Slam?
Jan 23, 2008 20:58
  • KATRINA
Yesterday, Federer and Djokovic defeated their rivals to advance to the semi-finals. During the semi-finals, one is destinied to be kicked out. Who will be eliminated? Judging from their previous game, Djokovic is in good condition. He didn't lose a game before. However, Federer is still No.1 and Djokovic only beat Federer one time. It seems that Federer have absolute advantages over Djokovic. On the court, everything is possible. We can't be sure that Federer will defeat Djokovic. Nadal and Tsonga will fight in another semi-final. Nadal also didn't lose a game before. If it goes as we expect, Nadal will beat Tsonga.

Who will meet in the final, Federer and Nadal? Who will claim the champion?

For Women's Singles, Sharapova will fight Jankovic in the semi-final. Ivanovic and Hantuchova will meet in another game. Jankovic and Ivanovic perform well in their previous games. Sisters Williams were eliminated by them. Last year, Jankovic beat Sharapova. Will she make a new miracle? Let's witness it together.

Black Federer.

Jan 26, 2008 23:15
  • CANADAGUY
Well Katrina the games have not gone according to script.
Federer is out and so is Nadal. As a matter of fact, the top four men and women seeds did not make it to the finals.

The two biggest 'surprises' were Federer and Henin not reaching the finals.
Federer had set himself up for an inevitable loss. He was the only man ever to reach 12 *consecutive* Grand Slam finals. No one has come even close to that record.

Each month and year that passes, Federer ages, just like the rest of us. Eventually this will take its toll on his playing abilities. People seemed to think that he was immortal/invincible in the tennis world. But reality starts to set in. Hopefully he will still win at least a few more slams and break the all-time record. I feel that if he wins even one slam this year, he will be on track to break the record.

The two remaining men are Djokovic and Tsonga.
I am hoping Tsonga will win the title this year, even though he is definitely the underdog.

Jan 27, 2008 19:17
  • KEVIN0518
Yes, CANADAGUY. I am very sad to see that Federer was out. He shed tears at the press conference after that match. But who knows what will happen? Last year, he didn't play very well while he finally won some trophies. 'I will be back!' This is what I expect to hear from him.

"Federer had set himself up for an inevitable loss. He was the only man ever to reach 12 *consecutive* Grand Slam finals. No one has come even close to that record."

Well, 13 is not ominous in the west. Perhaps, this is the reason why he lost the game. Just kidding.

"People seemed to think that he was immortal/invincible in the tennis world. But reality starts to set in."

Yes, CANADAGUY. We have to admit that some 1980s tennis players have shown their tennis talent to us. Djokovic is a good example. Perhaps, he will surpass Federer someday. Who knows? Federer says that he will consider retiring at the age of 35. Wish that he could break Sampras's records.

"The two remaining men are Djokovic and Tsonga.
I am hoping Tsonga will win the title this year, even though he is definitely the underdog."

CANADAGUY, I watched that match yesterday. The result may disappoint you. Djokovic defeated Tsonga 4 to 1.

Jan 27, 2008 19:30
  • KEVIN0518
Sorry, it should be 3 to 1. BTW, Tsonga is the black horse at Australian Open. He beat four seeds and stormed into the finals. A great player.
Jan 27, 2008 20:10
  • CANADAGUY
>>"Federer had set himself up for an inevitable loss. He was the only man ever to reach 12 *consecutive* Grand Slam finals. No one has come even close to that record."

>Well, 13 is not ominous in the west. Perhaps, this is the reason why he lost the game. Just kidding.

Sorry Kevin, I made a mistake with my statistic. Federer had made 10 straight Grand Slam finals, not 12 as I had stated. But even 10 is a big record that will likely not be surpassed in our lifetime.

>>Sorry, it should be 3 to 1. BTW, Tsonga is the black horse at Australian Open. He beat four seeds and stormed into the finals. A great player.

Yes Tsonga is a great player. It's too bad he didn't win the Australian Open this year.
I fear however that he has lost his golden opportunity. I believe he has achieved his '15 minutes of fame' and will now fade away from the top of the tennis world.

I hope I am wrong, but it just seems this way based on how he played prior to this tournament and in the final against Djokovic.

He is just too big a man to be successful in the daily tennis tour grind.
He would have more success as a boxer or American football player.

Jan 28, 2008 21:09
  • KATRINA
Kevin and CANADAGUY. I watched 'highlights' of Men's singles. Tsonga is really great and is good at net play. Am I correct?
Jan 28, 2008 21:46
  • CANADAGUY
>>Kevin and CANADAGUY. I watched 'highlights' of Men's singles. Tsonga is really great and is good at net play. Am I correct?

Katrina, Tsonga played the match of his life in the previous round when he defeated Nadal.
I have it on DVD, and I have never seen a player demolish another, especially one of such high caliber as Nadal, as convincingly as Tsonga did.
He really made it look easy. He had all the shots including very good net play, with a soft touch when he needed it for his drop shots.

Unfortunately he couldn't repeat this great performance for his next match with Djokovic. He just wasn't the same player for the final.
He did manage to win the first set, but he was a bit lucky to capture it.

I hope Tsonga can prove me wrong and develop into a great player, but I have a feeling that we have already seen him at his best.
When he played Nadal, he was "in the zone" and could do no wrong.

Jan 29, 2008 18:54
  • KEVIN0518
The match between Nadal and Tsonga is very interesting and exciting. Perhaps, he is a little bit nervous at the final. He never realizes that he could advance to the final. After Australian Open, his ranking is rising quickly. Hope he can bring us more 'surprises'.
Jan 29, 2008 20:56
  • CANADAGUY
>>The match between Nadal and Tsonga is very interesting and exciting. Perhaps, he is a little bit nervous at the final. He never realizes that he could advance to the final. After Australian Open, his ranking is rising quickly. Hope he can bring us more 'surprises'.

Yes I am looking forward to Tsonga's next tournament entries.
I hope he does well. He has a striking resemblance
to the great boxer Muhammad Ali.
Post a Reply to: Will Federer claim the Grand Slam?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code