Menu
Any jetlag tips?
Jan 24, 2008 16:52
  • JENMARIE
Hi,

Soon I'll be taking my first trip to China. I've dealt with jetlag before, but only for time differences of 8-9 hours. This time it will be 12 hours, and I've heard it can be pretty rough. I only get a few weeks in China, so I want to spend as little time as possible as a zombie. Does anyone have any tips for getting over arrival jetlag?

Thanks!
Jan 24, 2008 17:28
  • JCNILE123
Going to Asia, it will be a limited effect, especially if you arrive late on the day.
Coming back home is where the problems are, I do not think there is a lot you can do but to sleep if you can.
Jan 24, 2008 17:59
  • APAULT
I have often travelled between the UK and Australia with flights from 24 to 36 hours (cheapies with bad connections). My approach is not to have a sleep in the daytime when I arrive. I try to have a full day without overdoing it and if necessary, go to bed early. Then I get up at a reasonable time the next day, rather than sleeping in, and get into the new routine.
Jan 24, 2008 18:25
  • JOHNFONTANA
Try to take night plane (like Air China from Los Angeles to Beijing/Shanghai, leaving around 1:00am LA time, and get there 6:30am Beijing time). Try to get into sleep as soon as get on board. Get up in the morning in China, and you don't feel too much jetlag.
Jan 24, 2008 19:06
  • WCTMAN
I suppose I am fortunate in that I have never experienced jetlag on the way over here. On three such trips, I just get into whatever time cycle it is upon arrival, and go from there. Granted, I have always arrived at night, so I just go to sleep and get up a few hours later and carry on. And, from Canada, these trips have taken over 25 hours on average, with long layovers and the usual domestic flight delays. I would suggest that you make sure that you eat enough, especially when you wake up here on the first morning. And that is the best part, since the food here ( in Xi'An, at least ) is marvelous.
Jan 24, 2008 22:40
  • CANADAGUY
>>Going to Asia, it will be a limited effect, especially if you arrive late on the day.
Coming back home is where the problems are, I do not think there is a lot you can do but to sleep if you can.<<

I agree with JC.
For me there wasn't really a problem when I arrived in China. The problem started when I got back home 6 weeks later! It took well over a week until started to feel back to normal.
Jan 24, 2008 22:46
  • GRIZ326
I spent many years as a road warrior and learned two things:

* Traveling is west more difficult than traveling east
* When traveling west, jetlag is caused by over-doing it on your first day

Take it easy the first day. Make time for a little nap in the afternoon. You will be fine on day two.

Are you flying east or flying west from Indiana?
Jan 25, 2008 17:49
  • APAULT
I hate night flights as I find them impossible to sleep on, so give me a day trip any time. Contrary to the stabndard wisdom I find a regular intake of a nectar liquid, such as Fosters, (though others favour Johnny Walker or Jack Daniels), makes the trip more enjoyable
Jan 25, 2008 18:28
  • JENMARIE
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the input. GRIZ326, I'll be flying out of Chicago (at 1:00am), heading east to Seoul, then Beijing, then Xi'an. The trip will take about 22 hours in all. But the general consensus seems to be that it won't be too bad. I can take all the time I need when I return to Chicago.
Jan 25, 2008 18:52
  • BETWEENUS21
as one who identifies with the airline industry and having talked to airline crew in particular to pilots, one of the main way to counter jet lag is to do some exercises ie like swimming and jogging or some gym workout. And setting yourself to the timeof your next destination does help somewhat but exercice is the major factor and it does work, provided one tries or do it.
Post a Reply to: Any jetlag tips?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code