Menu
Hotels in China and deposits?
Jan 24, 2008 23:44
guest10971 Hi,
Is it true that all hotels in Guangzhou will ask for a deposit when registered at the hotel front desk and that the amount is usually twice your room rate?

1) Is there anyway i can avoid paying this deposit as i am worried that if mistakes are made in putting the deposited amount back on my card i will have problems getting it sorted as i will be back in London.

All advice will be gratefully accepted.

Thank you.

Jan 25, 2008 05:09
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes It is true but a deposit is usually paid in cash and you will get it back if there is nothing amiss with your room at check-out.

If using a credit card the 'deposit' is not actually charged to your credit card until such time as it may be necessary to charge you for something.

The CC 'deposit' is just a piece of paper until it is processed. It will only be processed if you damage or default on your room.

It is just a security precaution and is not the exclusive domain of hotel check-ins. Rental Cars are another example.

Imagine the paper trail on your credit card if all deposits where actually processed and re-credited at check-out.

What a nightmare indeed.

Jan 25, 2008 17:33
  • APAULT
I use budget hotels and speak no Chinese. Initially I was concerned about leaving the deposit...in cash in these places. However, I have never had a problem. Just make sure you keep the pink receipt slip as you need it to get the deposit back. You should be able to see the amount you paid, and either the deposit or the total amount handed over. When you check out expect to have to wait while the reception calls up to the service desk on your floor to have yr room checked out (hmmmm, I used 'checked out' twice in one sentence, with related but different meanings - stupid language!)

Feb 24, 2008 00:20
  • ELLYSE
Pay the deposit in cash and keep the deposit receipt to get the money back when you check out.
Feb 24, 2008 01:46
  • BARONTWANGLE
Leave your credit card at home! It is of no use in China other than to scrape the dirt out from under your finger nails.

Post a Reply to: Hotels in China and deposits?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code