Menu
Sociable people get fat, worriers thin
Jan 25, 2008 03:10
  • ICEBLUE
I read a research report which says that sociable people are easier to become fat while the worriers are usually very thin.

It doesn't fit me. I am sociable but I am not fat. Does it fit you?

The report:

Are you obese? Well, blame it on your social nature.

Outgoing people tend to be overweight, while anxious types are more likely to be thin, according to Japanese researchers who examined the links between personality and body mass index.

More than 30,000 people in northeastern Japan aged between 40 and 64 were quizzed about their height and weight, and given a personality test, according to a study published in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research.

The results showed that outgoing people were far more likely than other people to have a body mass index (BMI) of more than 25, a WHO definition of overweight, said Masako Kakizaki of Tohoku University, who led the analysis.

After controlling for other factors, such as smoking, men in the most extrovert category were 1.73 times more likely to be obese than their most introvert counterparts. Extrovert women were 1.53 times as likely to be obese.

People ranked as having the most anxious personalities were twice as likely as the least anxious to be underweight, or have a BMI of less than 18.5, the study found.

"These results may provide clues to devising more effective measures for preventing overweight, obesity or underweight," the researchers said in their paper.

Jan 25, 2008 23:55
  • HEIDI
I don't believe the result. The situation I found is just opposit.
Jan 27, 2008 21:10
  • SUNNYDREAM
I don't believe the research report either. Numerous social people I encountered are very slim.
Jan 28, 2008 18:37
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I don’t believe it either. I thought being outgoing shouldn’t make one obese because it means one engages in a lot of activities, therefore will burn more fat and calories. How else is one going to socialize if not for activities? Unless it’s just an eating activity. LOL! An introvert person who doesn’t go out or is a couch potato is more at risk of being obese, I think.

According to my research, if I eat too much, I become fat but if I exercise and watch what I eat I become fit. So much for the research. LOL!
Jan 28, 2008 20:43
  • JIMMYB
No matter how much I eat, I am still fit. Actually, I want to be stronger so that girls think that I am a dependable guy :-)
Jan 29, 2008 19:34
  • LEONARDO
>>Outgoing people tend to be overweight, while anxious types are more likely to be thin<<

Can it be true? What are the scientific evidences? The conclusion is only based on a quiz?
Post a Reply to: Sociable people get fat, worriers thin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code