Menu
Chinese society v British society?
Jan 25, 2008 23:09
guest80192 Is Chinese society much more trustworthy that the society here in the U.K?

I ask this question as on planning my first trip to China, from the answers to the questions i've uploaded it seems that Chinese society is more trustworthy and helpful than here in the U.K. O.K, i know that in every barrel lies a rotten apple and here in the U.K society is in a terrible mess, such as increase in stabbings, mugging, teenage drinking, etc. All this has made me loose trust.

Please correct me if i am wrong on the above matter.

Thanking you in advance
Jan 25, 2008 23:48
  • HEIDI
I can't give you the definite answer to your question. Just like you said 'every barrel lies a rotten apple'. But China society is not like U.K where is in a terrible mess. The country is now developping quickly and the society is stable. However, the situation like teenage drinking also exist in China. I believe most countries have the same situation.
Jan 26, 2008 12:27
  • APAULT
Please define, or explain what you mean by, trustworthy
Jan 26, 2008 13:39
GUEST41225 Hello,

What i meant when using the word 'trustworthy' is that can i trust Chinese society more than i can trust British society. Hey.... i feel as if i'm back in school. lol.

Apault seeing you' have lived in China for sometime, please can you enlighten me on this matter. Should i be weary and extremely cautious as i am back in the U.K. Are the Chinese people more friendly and welcoming than people here in the U.K.

Fellow U.K citizens i.m sorry if i offend you but i.m just being realistic about life in the 21st century in Britian. As a 49 years old U.K born citizen who have decided to venture out of Europe for the first time, i would gratefully appreciate it if someone can throw some light on the original question.

Thank you all.
Jan 26, 2008 18:01
  • TIGERPAUL
You are right to lose trust in British Society, it is going down the pan. It is no longer safe to walk the streets in the day let alone the night (in certain areas, though the number of these areas is growing ever more)

Not only that but we have a government that seems intent on taking as much money as possible from the majority using ever more devious means. We work our whole lives paying for the government and then when we die they take our assets as well, leaving us with less and less to pass on to our children.

The Great British spirit we used to hear about belongs in the past. The country is ruled by the greedy and the streets are ruled by the violent.
Jan 28, 2008 19:44
  • LEMONCACTUS
Guest80192,

I'm British too, from England. Perhaps this answer comes from being a little offended, I'm not sure. I can't agree with some of the stuff that's been said on here but I'll just answer the original question.

I can tell you that on the whole I feel safer in China than I did in England. But it's kind of banal to say this.

For instance, you're much more likely to get killed crossing the road or in a bus in China compared with England because the driving here is dreadful. You're more likely to get killed at work in China because there's no such thing as health & safety etc.

Are the Chinese more "trustworthy"... I wouldn't be able to say yes to this. Not judging by my experience of my Chinese friends/colleagues and the way they are mis-treated by their bosses etc. For foreigners this is less likely to happen of course, but still does happen.

I've never been ripped off in the UK, except by the normal high price of everything, but at least that is the same for everyone. I've been ripped off many times in China because I'm a foreigner.

Many people are friendly and welcoming in China. Often those with little or nothing to give are the most amazing and I have made friends with people at all levels. Some people will want you to be their friends because having a foreign friend is a status symbol. They will wine you and dine you and pay for you to do things. Is this welcoming and friendly ? Depends on your point of view.

My advice to you is not to come to China with too many expectations. Like every country there are wonderful people in China and there are bad people in China, there are advantages and disadvantages to living here. The only way you'll know for sure is to come and experience it for yourself.
Jan 29, 2008 07:36
  • TIGERPAUL
Never been ripped off in England? Then you are lucky.

Think of Rogue traders, extortionate bank charges, late penalties, council taxes going ever higher, ridiculous fuel costs, what about all the mobile phone companies that keep ringing to see if you want a new contract. All the companies that keep you on hold when you ring them charging you by the second. Supermarkets are trying to control us now through their "loyalty" scheme, which is customer profiling to try to extort every last penny. Road pricing will be common everywhere soon, not just the congestion charge in london. Its a joke!

We get ripped off in Britain all the time, the sad thing is, because it happens bit by bit on a daily basis most people dont even know it.
Feb 2, 2008 20:04
  • YVONNE
Every society has both rogue and responsible people. China and and UK are basically the same. The fundamental difference between Chinese society and British society lies in the different beliefs that they rely on. Chinese society is based on the collectivist culture. British society is based on individualist culture.
Feb 4, 2008 10:00
  • APAULT
Sorry Yvonne, but I cannot agree with you taht China is based on a colelctivist culture. I would agree that it WAS! No more, it is out and out exploitative, capitalist, get away with what you can. Sure in the family there is strong loyalty, but it seems to end there.

Overall I mostly agree with Lemoncactus. I especially endorse his comments on the way workers are exploited by their bosses. It is a common complaint from my Net friends. The lack of concern for workers has been my greatest disappointment in China. How can workers get their rights enforced? The new labour law, 2008/01/01 doesn't seem worth the paper it is written on.
Feb 5, 2008 01:19
  • DAVEC
I am living in England and you are right in thinking it is going badly downhill. The society here has gone to sh..
Why else do you think that there are currently between 700 and 750 people emigrating every week!!!

I have found that the friends I have made in China and the Chinese I know here in the UK are much more trustworthy than any of the English people I know.
There is a word in the Chinese dialect that was taken out of the English language many many years ago......Respect
Feb 5, 2008 16:41
  • DAVEC
Sorry, I made a mistake with my figures. Its 700 people per day leaving the UK.
Clearly something is not right that so many of us want to get out and its not just the weather.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese society v British society?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code