Menu
The China to Tibet Road
Jan 27, 2008 04:43
  • LITTLEGERALD
Hi All,

I'm planning to go to Chengdu this April and do the road to tibet (till the border). I was wondering if there are any of you, who did this road and what your experience was.

I heard that it must be an amazing trip. So let me know.
Feb 8, 2008 13:40
GUEST40154 That road is near impossible to get access too (or at least it was 5 years ago when I went - mostly Japanese guys I know got through): firstly, the China Information Tourist Service (CITS) will not grant permits on the road from Chengdu to Lhasa as it is "unsafe". We probed a little deeper and gathered that is because it is a militarily sensitive area. Secondly, it is subject to extreme weather and is often closed for a good part of the year. I got my timing completely wrong and as a result, I was advised the only way to go in overland was via Golmond (a 7,000km detour!). It's worth the journey because there is so much to see. That road in from Golmond again requires an "Alien's Permit" from CITS and the bus trip has been known to take anywhere from 24-36 hours....it took us 82. If you take this road, get aclimatised, bring supplies (bearing in mind water will freeze!) and a VERY warm sleeping bag (rated to -30 if poss). We were stranded on the bus for 3 days when it broke down and it was -20 C inside - we all ended up hypertheric, dehydrated and altitude sick and pretty close to tragety! Still, it's a great story and the experience was, umm, life altering to say the least! If you need more info, more than happy to help out - hotmail.com|thomasoleary
Feb 8, 2008 13:41
GUEST40154 Oops - just read your email - if you're not going to Tibet, just the border, then this should be fine - it's a great part of China and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Post a Reply to: The China to Tibet Road
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code