Menu
To give a helping hand or not?
Jan 28, 2008 01:37
  • BLUESKY001
Recently, a young man named Peng Yu in Nanjing was involved in a court case. He was charged by an old woman whom he has helped. The woman slipped up and fell down when Pen Yu passed by her. Peng Yu kindheartedly helped to save the old woman and sent her to a hospital under the requirement of the old woman. However, after arriving at the hospital, the old woman told the doctors that Peng Yu run her down. Peng Yu denied the charge. Later, the old woman sent Peng Yu to a Chinese court. The jury’s verdict was that Peng Yu should compensate the old woman for medical treatment fees 40,000 Yuan. If Peng Yu did really help the old woman, should he pay for the price of his kindness? When Peng Yu’s case was reported by news media, many people were deterred from giving a helping hand. Later, when a senior lady slipped up in a street in Yangzhou, she became seriously fractured and injured because of late treatment. The senior lady says when she slipped up, the bystanders just stood by and no one gave her a helping hand. Many people described the phenomenon as the “ dread disease of “Peng Yu Law Case”.

Jan 28, 2008 01:38
  • BLUESKY001
What would you do? To give a helping hand or not?

Jan 28, 2008 18:00
  • GRIZ326
When a woman fell off her heavily loaded bicycle in Shenyang, I helped her pick up the melons and reload the bicycle.

Where I live in Montana, we always stop to help people on the roads because in the winter they might freeze and in the summer they might be attacked by bear. However, as more people from California and other parts of the US migrate here - many people look at the license plate of the vehicle before stopping to help - many just drive by out of state licenses now.

For legal reasons...like "dread disease of “Peng Yu Law Case" and because in such a remote location it is easy for you to be assaulted by criminals.
Jan 28, 2008 22:01
  • ICEBLUE
Very sad to hear the tragic stories. Mutual trust is declining. Indifference has prevailed.
Jan 29, 2008 04:32
  • DODGER
After filling my car with gas the other day an old lady stopped me and asked if I could help her put some air in her wheels. I was in a hurry and almost refused for a second and then remembered what life was all about.
The job took a couple on minute and the old Lady went on her way with a smile. That very small gesture may have repaid in some small way the kindness that strangers have given me when I have been in need.
I still arrived at work on time and felt better
Dodger.
Jan 21, 2012 03:19
  • XIAOXIAO
Peng Yu recently admitted that he pushed over that old lady accidentally when he got off the bus. The old lady tried to ask him to pay 136000 yuan for her medical cost and compensation for mental loss. According to the judgment of the first trial, Peng Yu had to pay 45000 yuan to the old lady. He didn’t agree. Before the court sat the second trial, he made a deal with the old lady. Peng Yu gave 10000 yuan to the old lady but both sides had to keep silent about the case.

Clearly, Peng Yu pushed the old lady over. He didn’t do a good deed as he said before. It was he who called the media to report his case.
Jan 29, 2012 21:56
  • KEVIN0518
OMG! I thought that it was the old lady's fault.This guy knows how to use the media to work for him.
Post a Reply to: To give a helping hand or not?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code