Menu
Weather in China?
Jan 28, 2008 22:36
  • CANADAGUY
What's going on with the weather in China now?

I hear it's a big mess!

I'm about to leave for China next week, but my warm vacation in Guangzhou doesn't sound like it's a sure thing anymore.

Is the weather colder than normal everywhere now in China?
This is bad timing for the New Year.

I heard that many flights were cancelled yesterday and half the country is enduring power brown-outs.

How come no one is talking about it here in the Forums?

Jan 28, 2008 23:28
  • ZENCHEN
the cities alongside Yangtze River snow heavily,so airport and highway road are closed temporarily.
Jan 29, 2008 03:23
  • DODGER
Just heard that Beijing is ok today from my Wife.
Dodger.
Jan 29, 2008 13:58
  • CANADAGUY
Thanks Dodger.

I hope others can keep me posted about this.

My brother is in Asia now and just sent me an e-mail suggesting I reconsider my departure next week for China.

He says the weather is getting worse in China.
That Guangzhou is turning into a disaster area with 600,000 people stranded
there now because buses and trains and planes are not able to get there from
other parts of China.

Apparently 10,000 are stranded at the airport and they are talking about food, power, and water shortages.
Jan 30, 2008 17:57
  • CANADAGUY
I'm really surprised that so few here are talking about the weather problems in China now.

It's on the news everywhere else in the world. Even the U.S. which usually just reports on their local news.

Here's an article that I just read yesterday.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jan2008/gb20080129_850904.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_businessweek+exclusives

If anyone has any current or personal information on what is happening anywhere in China weather-wise I'd be interested to hear about it!

I will have to make a decision in the next couple of days as to whether I should postpone my trip or not.

Is anyone having any trouble with their power/electricity in China?

In the U.S. TV broadcast a few minutes ago they showed people climbing on top of each other at bus and train stations in Guangzhou!

Jan 30, 2008 18:26
  • APAULT
Guangzhou is not exactly warm at this time of year. You can expect overnight temperatures of about 5C and daytime of about 13 to 20C . Southern Hainan is warmer.

The transport situation is certainly an issue. The Spring Festival period is always bad but this year it looks like it will be a nightmare. I hope it will be sorted out before I return in 3 weeks.
Jan 31, 2008 04:35
  • MACAIQIN
Hi, My suggestion is postphoning your trip 1 or 2 weeks. because at present, according to the news online, people living in Guangdong and Hunan Provinces having much trouble with their power/electricity in China because of the freezing disaster.
During these freezing days, airport, highway and train are closed, many many people gathering stations are anxious to go back home while Chinese New Year is coming.
Jan 31, 2008 04:48
  • MACAIQIN
Weather Report: Snow, Rain Still Hanging over Southern China in Next Four Days
Published : 1:58 A.M. EST, Jan 29, 2008
According to the China Central Meteorological Office in the next four days most areas in southern China will still be overcast and snowy (or rainy). Most parts of northern China will be sunny and cloudy.

In the next three days, partial areas of southern Hunan Province will have constant heavy snow. Heavy rain is predicted in the southern parts of South of Yangtze River, northern and western parts of South China. Partial areas of these regions will be hit by storms. Meanwhile, freezing rain is still expected in middle and southern parts of Guizhou Province, middle and southern parts of Hunan Province, middle parts of Jiangxi Province and northern parts of Guangxi Province. Eastern parts of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, southeastern parts of Northwest China and Southwest China will continue to be overcast and snowy (or rainy).

From January 31st to February 2nd, Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, southeastern part of Northwest China, eastern part of Southwest China, Jianghan Plain, Yangtze-Huaihe River Region, South of Yangtze River and South China will have light to moderate snow (or rain). Moderate to heavy snow is predicted in middle and southern Anhui Province, Hubei Province, middle and southern Jiangsu Province, northern Hunan Province, northern Jiangxi Province and partial areas of northern Zhejiang Province. Partial areas will be hit by snowstorm. Southern Jiangxi Province, southern Zhejiang Province, Fujian Province as well as northern parts of Guangdong and Guangxi provinces will have moderate to heavy rain. Especially, Guizhou Province and middle areas of Hunan Province will be hit by freezing rain (Sleet).

Due to the constant bad weather, the temperature of Guizhou Province, western part of South of Yangtze River, Jianghan Plain and Yangtze-Huaihe River Region will be very low. Therefore, freezing conditions will be expected in the partial areas of these regions. Transportation will be severely disrupted.
Feb 1, 2008 22:37
  • CANADAGUY
By the lack of discussion at this site on the weather in China, one would think that everything is just peachy in China now.

I sure would like to hear from Chinese natives on what's happening in their part of the country, weather-wise.

When you read headlines as frightening as this:
- Winter storms leave Chinese dark, cold, hungry in "dead cities" -
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-02/01/content_7547456.htm

you can't help but wonder why everyone is so quiet here at this site about the situation.

Has it been overblown by the media? It's being reported in all the Chinese media and around the world.

Feb 2, 2008 00:12
  • CANADAGUY
Now I understand why no one is talking about the weather in Chitter-Chatter.
They are discussing it in the News Flash forum! :)

They are still mostly news reports, but not many personal stories.
I read one story on the net about Guangzhou where they were shocked at the number of people waiting at the train and bus stations, meanwhile the 'middleclass' were busy shopping in the malls downtown in the same city seemingly oblivious to what was going on with the weather problems!

Feb 2, 2008 00:35
  • KEVIN0518
CANADAGUY, actually there are several posts about the snow storm in China. Here are two links:
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=43380
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=43414
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Weather in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code