Menu
English or No English?
Jan 30, 2008 14:12
  • FREEBIRDNZ
Hi there,

I have been told from a couple of people now that China can be quite hard to communicate with people as not many Chinese people speak english. I am basically doing a route to the tourist areas like Great Wall, Three Gorges etc but will be catching a train where I can. I know in India and Thailand I didn't have a problem at all but is this true for China?

I know it depends exactly where I go as don't expect remote village people to speak english but I am talking more about most tourist type areas. I have been told that even then it can be quite a nightmare to communicate.

Thanks for you advice!

Freebird
Jan 30, 2008 15:30
  • APAULT
It is often said that most young people know some English as they learn it at school. The last part is true! I teach first year (low level) English major uni students - most have never spoken with a foreigner before, and most have had minimal experience speaking English as it is not a testable part of their English course (just like French when I was a kid). Of course, more English is spoken at major tourist sites like the Great Wall.

I speak almost no Chinese but I have travelled for almost 6 months in all, so it is quite possible.I believe it is important not to have tight schedules so you have time to find out what's around and which buses go from which bus stations. Make sure you have maps and can point to where you want to go and always ask at least three times. When you have a consistent answer, commit yourself! As you have travelled elsewhere you will know this stuff, you will just need time to adapt.

Have fun.
Jan 30, 2008 16:42
  • JOHNFONTANA
My suggestion is to write (draw) down or print out the places you will visit in Chinese as well. You will find it very useful when you need help from people (like taxi drivers, etc.).
Jan 30, 2008 16:44
  • DAVEC
My Chinese is very poor but have travelled twice to China and never had a major problem.
The people I have met have been extremely friendly and always help and if they cant they try to find someone who can.
Kunming train station was the only time I couldnt find anyone who spoke English but when I showed my ticket to an official 2 young ladies took my arm and showed me to my train.
Take a phrase book and an open mind, go and enjoy the country.
Jan 30, 2008 19:04
  • LEONARDO
Hey Freebird,

Don't worry! Language is not a problem since you are planning to travel the touristy areas. There are lots of English-speaking tour guides in these touristy areas. Before setting out, you can search some information about the destinations you are heading for such as local flavors, customs. It will be good for your trip! Have a nice trip!
Jan 30, 2008 22:39
  • IBAUSSIE
Hi Freebird,
I speak very poor to non existant chinese and leave for Zhanjiang this evening.I have a phrase book with translations,an open mind and a sense of adventure.I look forward to being part of the spring festival. The only scary part will be the massive amount of people transiting with me at this time of year.I read an article yesterday that snow had caused power outages and trains in some centres stopped running. The article stated that 600,000 people were left stranded at a major train station with more pouring in.Wow,that is hard to comprehend.The population of New Zealand is around 4.4 million people,with 1.3 million in Auckland,So thats half the population of Auckland stranded at a train station..........Mind boggles.

I have traveled thru out many countries in Europe and spent two weeks in outback Russia/Siberia and only found one person who spoke english the whole time i was there.Pointing and smiling worked for me.

You can do it,patience and the ability to use gestures,point etc.Keep smiling and a good samaritan will appear to help you i am sure.
Keep a translation dictionary handy as the other person can use it to communicate back to you.

Well i am really looking forward to this,my first of many trips to China. Wish me luck
Peter
Jan 31, 2008 09:23
  • JABAROOTOO
Welcome to China,
Enjoy your first trip. It will be interesting with the Spring Festival crowds and now the freezing weather and power cuts. Most of us leave the freeze for somewhere warm.

Your monica is IBaussie but I wonder if UBkiwi with all your references to NZ?

Let's know how you fare....................
Feb 1, 2008 18:51
  • IBAUSSIE
Hi freebird and anyone who reads this.
Well the adventure has begun.I am now in Zhanjiang after 21 hrs of planes and airports. I have only good things to say about the people so far.
At the airports,HK and Guangzhou i had no problems with language as all ticket staff spoke english,as did security check point people and customs staff.Everyone was very helpful.On the planes the attendents spoke english. All reasonably easy to understand and they understood me.
Much of the signage has translation into english. Any documents needed to be filled out also have english translation so you know what to write.
I was helped by a complete strange in Guanzhou airport who assisted me to make a call and he even insisted i use his phone card for the call.He spoke a little english and i was really grateful for his help.Wonderful.
The weather is cold and wet. Guangzhou 10 degrees and in Zhanjiang 6 degrees and raining. The weather is better than some other areas where it is snowing.
I have a friend in Zhangjiang whose daughter speaks english so i have no problems here as well.
So far it has been wonderful and the language difference has not been an issue.Patience is the key and an open mind.Oh and the phrase book lol.
I get many inquiring looks by the locals as i sort of stick out,six foot,white and shiney on top.many smiles and nods of the head from people in the street
I enthralled people at a local restaurant with my deft hand using chopsticks. I have been practicing at home. hehe
My advice,dont worry,take the step and just dive in.
cheers peter
Feb 1, 2008 18:58
  • LEONARDO
Hi IBAUSSIE

Very glad to hear that! It sounds that you have a very nice trip. Enjoy your stay in China!
Feb 2, 2008 04:41
  • FREEBIRDNZ
HI there IBAUSSIE,

I feel really stupid now as I have only just realised something of great importance...............it will be FREEZING when I go to China in Jan 2009. I hate the cold and I get enough of it here in London. I am gutted I didn't even think about this and for some stupid reason I thought it would be hot in China when I go. This has actually put me off going now and I can't simply change the dates as I am leaving London for Africa 27 November...............arrrghhhhhhhhhhhh

Freebirdnz
Post a Reply to: English or No English?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code