Menu
China is in need of power!!!
Jan 31, 2008 01:35
  • ICEBERG
Hit by heavy snow, seventeen provinces, municipalities and autonomous regions have lacked power. This is what the newspaper said. Power grids in Hubei, Hunan, Guizhou and Guangdong have been damaged seriously. The Ministry of Civil Affairs released that more than 30 million people have been affected by power shortage.

In some places of Guangxi, people used coal oil for lighting. In Guizhou, 12 cities and counties were in dark and another 19 had only partially power supplies. It is said that 472 power substations didn't work. According to the newpaper, Guangdong is in urgent demand of power. Congested roads and railways have not only blocked numerous passengers but also coal transportation. It is said that many power plants only have two days coal reserve. The news said that 4.5 million tons of coal will be transported to Guangdong to assist.

Wish snow could stop falling as soon as possible!
Jan 31, 2008 20:01
  • JIMMYB
It is forecasted that snow will fall again before Spring Festival. When will it stop? Also, heavy snow has hit some other countries, such as Turkey and US. I wonder if people have been affected seriously by heavy snow.
Feb 2, 2008 00:07
  • CANADAGUY
>>It is forecasted that snow will fall again before Spring Festival. When will it stop? Also, heavy snow has hit some other countries, such as Turkey and US. I wonder if people have been affected seriously by heavy snow.

Canada is experiencing heavy snow now too but it is something that we take for granted because it is so common here.
Feb 2, 2008 19:13
  • JIMMYB
"Canada is experiencing heavy snow now too but it is something that we take for granted because it is so common here."

Heavy snow is common in Canada but not in China. It is said that China hasn't experienced such heavy snow in recent five decades, especially in southern parts of China.
Feb 2, 2008 21:07
  • CANADAGUY
>>Heavy snow is common in Canada but not in China. It is said that China hasn't experienced such heavy snow in recent five decades, especially in southern parts of China.

Yes you are quite right Jimmy, this is what I have also read.

The degree of your snowstorms is similar to typical snowstorms that we have each winter, but because it is so uncommon in southern China, you are unprepared to deal with it.

We can usually recover from a big snowstorm in a couple of days.

Feb 2, 2008 21:32
  • ELLEN77
The snow becomes a disaster- much due to it is the Spring Festival Period. The whole Chinese are moving home from faraway cities.
And this kind of big snowstorm is really rarely seen in China for half century.
Feb 3, 2008 05:33
  • AL32
I've been following the news on this for the lasts couple of days and I must admit that I now feel worried for all those people. I even thought of seeking to find a way to make a donation to help the relief efforts. But I also saw that people from everywhere are uniting and trying to make things easier for everyone affected; it is recomforting to see such actions from even countries outside China. Let's just jope for the best.
Feb 3, 2008 19:00
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I came from a country where 65F (18C) is considered cold. But here in Ohio, we expect snow and ice during winter although it hasn’t been so bad in a couple of years. It’s normal to get at least 3-5 inches of snow twice or thrice every winter. Almost 3 years ago, we got 2 feet of snow if I remember it right. And then we had the ice storm, a lot of tree branches and power cable fell down because of the weight of almost ½ inch thick ice around them. But everything went back to normal in about 2-3 days after the roads have been cleared.

By spring, it’s tornado season. Geez...

I can only imagine how tough it is for China because of the huge population, more people are directly affected. Also because of the bad timing when people are traveling for the Spring Festival which can’t be helped. This is precisely the reason why I try to avoid traveling during winter. Cold weather, delayed flights and slippery roads can really spoil a trip!
Feb 4, 2008 09:22
Thankfully I only ended up on my backside once and it wasn't in the snow! I slipped in the toilets and left a bloody great hole in the floor, he he
Alan
Feb 4, 2008 20:12
  • JIMMYB
"The degree of your snowstorms is similar to typical snowstorms that we have each winter, but because it is so uncommon in southern China, you are unprepared to deal with it."

Yes, CANADAGUY. Just look at this picture: A car was blocked on the expressway between Beijing and Zhuhai in north part of Guangdong.

Feb 12, 2008 19:10
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Grrr... it's been snowing on and off for almost 3 days here, it's not funny anymore!!! -_-

Oh well, shovel time!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: China is in need of power!!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code