Menu
Australia ranks tops for retirement
Feb 1, 2008 01:37
guestretiree Australia is the country most workers and retirees around the world would like to live in 20 years' time, an international survey found.

However, most Australians are unaware of how they will fund their retirement, the poll concluded.

The Retirement Scope survey conducted by French insurance giant AXA questioned workers from 26 countries, with two-thirds of Australian respondents unaware of the source of their retirement income or how much they would need.

Australians ranked as more aware than people from France, Spain or Indonesia, but behind those in Malaysia where more than half of workers can "put their finger on their retirement income", Fairfax newspapers report.

On the other hand, Australia's relaxed lifestyle and climate were its biggest attractions for retirees around the world, who voted it the most desirable place to retire to, although Australian respondents preferred New Zealand.

Australia came out above the United States and Switzerland.

The survey of 15,000 people found the average income of Australian retirees was $1,917 a month, while the cost of average household expenses is $1,437 a month.

"The survey found that the average retirement age among Australians is 57 years of age, and that 'old' is at 80 years, giving Australians 23 'bonus years' in which to enjoy a healthy and active retirement," AXA general manager of sales and marketing Adrian Emery told Fairfax.
Feb 1, 2008 09:55
  • APAULT
So.........people would rather retire to Australia than the USA! I cannot think why that would be.

Feb 17, 2008 23:53
  • STEVEANDCUI

I am wondering how correct this survey is. I don't know any Australians that would want to retire to New Zealand! Maybe go for a holiday and that is about it.
Feb 20, 2008 21:56
  • GARYKINKADE
Would anyone who is retired in Australia like to comment?
Feb 22, 2008 22:19
  • APAULT
Do you like homes with spacious yards/gardens, do you like good weather, do you like long empty beaches, do you like golf, fishing, lawn bowls, or a hundred and one other participant sports, do you like good food from around the world and low priced superb wine?. Would you enjoy a cost of living that is one of the lowest in the western world?

If you answer 'no' to these questions then I guess Australia is not the place for you!

Feb 29, 2008 05:14
GUEST23720 I am a retiree in Australia and yes it is a great country to be retired in. I would not wish to retire elsewhere.

My retirement pension is $4300 per month which keeps me very comfortable thank you very much.

Most Australians I know would most definitly not prefer to retire to New Zealand.
Post a Reply to: Australia ranks tops for retirement
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code