Menu
Tips on train ride from Beijing to Lhasa
Feb 1, 2008 09:45
  • EDYHARTO
Hi fellow travellers,

A happy and prosperous Chinese New Year to you!

Looks like I need your tips again for a trip to Lhasa by taking the `heavenly train' either from Beijing or some other city. I tried searching for information in this site but I don't find very much useful information. Perhaps you can help with some answers:
(a) what is the best route to take - from Beijing to Lhasa or from Chengdu to Lhasa, Shanghai to Lhasa, Golmud to Lhasa?
(b) how to preempt mountain sickness?
(c) What kind of food can we expect to get in Lhasa
(d) how many days are sufficient to tour Lhasa?

Thank you very much.
Feb 1, 2008 10:04
A: Goes to Lhasa you to be possible to ride the T27 inferior train, the time is 46 hours. Possibly will be long a spot, because these day of China will have the snow disaster. B: The plateau reflection is with generally the red Jing Tian medicine. C: Eats the thing not too understood, because I am south China. D: Goes to Lhasa's time many people to play for one month. I believe was 20 days may. SUPER I must go home to celebrate the new year, my 6 returned to Guilin. Guilin is also the tourist city.
hotmail.com|supertoguilin
Feb 1, 2008 19:17
  • ELLEN77
(a) Taking either train is ok if you care less about the running time. But usually the tickets from Golmud and Chengdu is difficult to buy. This particular season of Spring Festival I don't know. I think there are more people outbound tibet to spend the festival now. And getting to Tibet is not quite difficult.
(b) As to the mountain sickness, you should give yourself more time to adapt to the high altitude. The altitude of Lhasa is not too high in Tibet. But you'd better not travel the day you arrive. And keep yourself away from cold. A health body and an optimistic spirit are enough to conquer that.
(c) Dining in Lhasa is no problem. You can eat what you'd like.

Feb 1, 2008 21:35
  • EDYHARTO
Dear Supertogulin and Yin Xinhong,

First, thank you for your quick reply.

Actually we are planning to go in early July 2008 which netizens say is a good time to go. And one of the reason for going is to `enjoy' (or suffer) the long trip on board the `sky train'.

We have travelled to China many times and we are quite familiar with booking airtickets. Mindful of the thin air in Lhasa vicinity, we are also thinking of flying back after the train trip. Do give me more tips to enable me to make a decision.

Thank you very much.

Feb 2, 2008 10:13
oh , welcome to china ,
the nearly days i come back home happy new years
heyhey ,
let's you see my hometown water and plantion

do you see ,
but you better teaher my some english , becaurse my enlish is bad .

Feb 24, 2008 02:13
  • ELLYSE
a) Xining, Beijing or Chengdu. In order of personal preference.
Jun 16, 2008 12:47
GUEST97188 How do I go about booking the T27 train from Beijing to Lhasa?
Jun 16, 2008 22:50
GUEST08128 Which route has the best scenery ?
Jun 17, 2008 12:06
  • ELLYSE
Lhasa and the rest of the Tibet Autonomous Region is currently off-limits to foreigners anyway, so knowing how to book the Beijing -- Lhasa train would be redundant.
The best scenery is reportedly coming out from Lhasa till around Golmud.
Jun 18, 2008 00:55
  • EDYHARTO
Thank you Ellyse for taking time to reply to my request. I have thought of visiting Lhasa after the `heavenly road' was built but this is not to be as there appears to be some trouble there. Also after the Sichuan earthquake, I could only hope to visit Southern China. But then again, in Southern China there are floods. So there is no running away from `trouble' if one wants to see the world at close hand. Cheers.
Post a Reply to: Tips on train ride from Beijing to Lhasa
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code