Travel to Tibet starting from Xiamen
Feb 2, 2008 02:42
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Feb 2, 2008
  • Status: offline
I am a 52 y.o. Malaysian male (lecturer) embarking on a backpack trip to Tibet starting from 27 Feb, 2008. Planned intinerary from Xiamen to Kunming, Lijiang, Shangri-la and onto Tibet. Had done a couple of trips around China before. Would like to seek someone to travel with and to share costs.
Would appreciate any advice on getting to Tibet from Yunnan by land route.
Feb 24, 2008 03:17
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Oct 30, 2005
  • Status: Offline
If you're going overland from Yunnan to Tibet Autonomous Region, you would have to hire a 4WD.
Feb 28, 2008 20:36
GUEST86222 Maybe it's too late to connact with you .I have studied in Yunnan 4 years and traveled Tibet in2007.I familiar with all the places you want to .....
Mar 8, 2008 03:28
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Nov 28, 2004
  • Status: Offline
Hello Guest 86222,
I want to go overland from Yunnan to Lhasa in the first few days in April. Do you have an address for:
1. renting a normal car for 10-12 days in Yunnan and
2. renting a Landcruiser from Dali/Lijiang/Zhongdian to Lhasa 8-10 days?
email me:|elreops
Mar 9, 2008 16:46
GUEST17239 Hi, thank for your post. I have not got to Tibet yet as the weather is too cold for someone like me from the tropics. Have delayed the trip and will embark on it sometime around April/May. Would be happy to hear some views from you.
Mar 11, 2008 13:13

I am from Singapore. I plan to go to Tibet in early May, probably for 3-4wks. Got a few questions, appreciate if you can help. Pls reply to|lego.the.great:
1 - Is it true that we don't need TTB Permit if travel by land? Or if this is a risk, how risky is it to be thrown out?
2 - If the TTB Permit is a must, how to apply without going through a tour agency? I don't mind going through some agency, but then I don't need a guide, leave me alone!
3 - As I plan to backpack (with no tour guide), any idea of the rental cost of a cheapest 4-wheel?Where?
4 - Anyone interested in joining me to share the transport expenses?

Thanks and cheers.
Mar 16, 2008 01:52
GUEST03221 Hello, I am sorry I am unable to answer your questions as I didn't manage to get to Tibet yet. What now with the troubles there I am not sure about my travel plans. Would appreciate if we can get in touch with each other and see if we can have the good fate to make the trip together. You can contact me at my e-mail add:|ikaykong2000
Dec 26, 2012 13:56
GUEST30237 i am from india living in china holding visa of china want to go to tibet lahsa then from tibet to india
Dec 26, 2012 20:45

Originally Posted by GUEST30237

i am from india living in china holding visa of china want to go to tibet lahsa then from tibet to india

Foreigners can not go to Tibet as individual. You need to come to Tibet in a group and get the Tibet Travel Permit.
Post a Reply to: Travel to Tibet starting from Xiamen
(You can post as a member (login first) or a guest!)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code